Pro Member
  • Sarasota FL
Votes |
Florida lease legalities, a jobless tenant prior to moving in

James Strawser
Pro Member
  • Sarasota FL
Posted Apr 9 2020, 13:49

I do have one question at the moment. I have recently signed a lease for a tenant (D level tenant barely passed screening) that was using the Salvation army program to help pay for first months rent. They were supposed to have the check cut to me by April 1st. I still do not have the check in hand to pay for the first months rent. The tenant did give me a security deposit of $1200 on March 30th. I found out today the tenant's have both lost their jobs. This would disqualify them from the initial screening of applicants. The one tenant does have a fixed income of $1700 a month. The rent I am charging is $1200. for a 2/2 not including utilities. The tenant is not in the unit at this point in time. 

Can I refund the security deposit and send the Salvation Army check back legally? Not renting to these tenants and waiting for a better applicant due to the recent job loss. 

Am I stuck with these tenants now with under my requirement for income to rent my property? 

What legalities am I under or is there still a chance to get out of the lease?

Is an empty unit better than a tenant that can't pay rent at this point in the recession? 

Can I postpone the tenants moving in till May 1st to give them extra money in hand to cover expenses?

I can cover the mortgage with my W-2 job and all expenses at this point in time(I am in an essential business). I am not in a position to cover any major repairs as I have dwindled down my reserves prior to CV. I have two units that are rented any paying rent. 

Thank you for all of your shared knowledge and input. 

Loading replies...