Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Maria Johnson
Votes |
Bonus Depreciation/Cost segregation for 2022 and 2023

Maria Johnson
Posted Feb 14 2022, 07:41

I am a real estate professional and my spouse has a regular job that makes most of the money (w-2), he makes about 300K and sometimes gets bonuses.

I plan to buy 2 properties in 2022 as short term rentals and 2 condos in 2023 as short term rentals and am planning to use the bonus depreciation on these purchases to save money from paying less taxes that can then help us save to buy more properties for me to manage.

My question is this, through a cost segregation study , can I bonus depreciate the 2 properties at 100% (will be about 75k each) for 2022 to go against our total taxes, including his about 120K that he will owe on taxes through the bonus depreciation), and then carry that over to the other years including the 80% of 2023 bonus depreciation of the 2 condos (which will be about 50K x2)?  Here is the example:

1. 2022

Buy 1 house, 100% bonus depreciation = 75K
Buy 2nd house, 100% bonus depreciation= 75K

Total 150K bonus depreciation.  If we owe about 110 in taxes with w2 and our rentals, does the 150K come out in schedule E and what we owe in taxes comes out of there?  Guess if he can tell work to claim more deductions we would have more paycheck to go against this depreciation?

2.  2023

Buy 1 condo, 80% bonus depreciation= 50K

Buy 2 condo, 80% bonus depreciation= 50K

Same idea?  Just trying to see how it works so that what we save on taxes, we can use more money to actually buy these 4 properties before he retires in 3 years, which is why we would want to take the tax advantage now before our income becomes way less when he no longer works a high income job.

Loading replies...