User Stats

Votes
Ahmed Almu
Votes |
I'm a newbie and almost burned my entire saving - Rehab Screw up

Ahmed Almu
Posted May 2 2022, 10:50

Hi Pros, 

I have used most of my life saving to purchase and rehab a house in the state of Georgia.

I live in different state - and i have a contract with contractor for rehabbing the house where the agreement is I provide I buy the materials and I pay for labor.

The contract was not detailing the entire score (item by item - my biggest mistake ) 

but the contract was 50% of labor to be paid at the start and 50% at completion. 

I have been following the progress over the phone and being sent some pictures about the project, but the contractor asked for the rest of the payment claiming that the project is finished and almost ready for tenant walkthrough and he needed the cash to finish the final stroke of work and pay his people. 

Once I paid the entire amount the contractor vanished and stop answering my calls and turn out the work is not close to completion. He txted me saying he can not complete the work as per our contractual agreement I should be providing the City Permit if needed and i haven't provided the work permit and for that reason he can not complete the work. (we never talked about this house needing a city permit before).

I am currently paralyzed by what happened as it is my first rodeo in this deep hole and stuck - 

Now, It is a dead-end with this guy as he is really a scam artist who intentionally steal money. 

but what is the best next step that i could do - file a lawsuit and go to the legal system, or just focus on closing the rehab with another person .... and if I would sue the person would I actually get anything out of it or my time would be a waist....

sorry if i sound like rumbling - but any advice would be appreciated.

Sincerely 

AA

Loading replies...