Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Aline Brunson
Votes |
Section 8 tenant might have abandoned our property

Aline Brunson
Posted Jul 10 2022, 09:07

Hello. I am a first time investor and purchased my first rental property last March with a section 8 tenant already in the property. Our tenant is 2 months behind on rent but HUD housing is paying their part which covers our mortgage with some left. My husband and I manage the property ourselves, but needless to say we don't have a lot of experience specially with legal issues. The tenant told my husband she was more than likely moving out soon, but my husband went by the house yesterday and power was out and looked like nobody is living in our house, but some of her belongings are still there although majority is gone. We have no idea how long she's been gone but my husband says we need to get power back on we're afraid of mold in basement. We plan on calling lawyers tomorrow, but does anyone have any legal advice for us? Do we still have to go through eviction even though she seemingly abandoned the property? How is the process with HUD housing? She was supposed to give us 60 days notice and obviously did not and neither let HUD know anything. I am afraid they will stop paying while we go though legal proceedings and we are left with a second mortgage to pay. Any advice? Thank you and greatly appreciated!

Loading replies...