User Stats

Votes
Dominic Santini
Votes |
Two duplexes, two tax parcels, one sale. Cant get refinancing

Dominic Santini
Posted Oct 8 2020, 21:17

Hey BP-

First post after getting into real estate about a year ago- I would really appreciate some insight on this situation-

In Jan 2020 I closed on 2 duplexes on two separate parcels in Lakewood Washington with an FHA. This was completed in one sale, with one loan.

Close to a year later and I am going through a refi and my loan officer calls me to tell me that the appraiser said they have to appraise it as two different properties. Ok fine, not a big deal- it probably has more value as separate properties any way- 

BUT there is a carport in between the two duplexes that is on each property. It only connects to one duplex but it does go across the property line. 

They are telling me that in order to get refinanced I either have to get a variance from the city and get it zoned as a fourplex or tear down the car port. They said the loan should have never gone through the first time?? 

Seems weird for a couple reasons-

The FHA loan closed 10 months ago and none of this came up- isn't FHA supposed to be the most scrutinized?

Tearing down a carport cant be the only solution? 

Has anyone experienced anything like this??

Getting some second opinions soon but very curious to see what you all have to say. 

Thanks team

Dom

Loading replies...