• Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Assessing Rental Income Tax For Potential Purchase

Rachelle Malkoff
  • Boston, MA
Posted Jan 17 2022, 05:34

My husband and I are looking at some rental property options in the Boston area and using Net Operating Income (NOI) to assess if the properties would cash-flow based off of downpayment, mortgage rate, rent rate, maintenance, etc. BUT....NOI doesn't include taxes on rental income as a factor in achieving cash-flow even the property comparison spreadsheets I've used don't include rental income taxes.

How did you consider income taxes on cash flow when evaluating the potential of a property?

User Stats

Votes
Ashish Acharya
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Replied Jan 17 2022, 06:45
Originally posted by @Rachelle Malkoff:

My husband and I are looking at some rental property options in the Boston area and using Net Operating Income (NOI) to assess if the properties would cash-flow based off of downpayment, mortgage rate, rent rate, maintenance, etc. BUT....NOI doesn't include taxes on rental income as a factor in achieving cash-flow even the property comparison spreadsheets I've used don't include rental income taxes.

How did you consider income taxes on cash flow when evaluating the potential of a property?

Please reach out to me if you want analyzers that factors in taxes.  Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Jan 17 2022, 06:55
Quote from @Rachelle Malkoff:

Cash flow is different than taxable income. You can have a property with negative cash flow, that shows taxable profit. You can also have a property with positive cash flow that shows a tax loss. 

That is because the only portion of a mortgage payment that is tax deductible is the interest and insurance. 

There are also expenses you find in a deal calculator that do not reduce your taxable income like CAPEX and possibly even vacancy (depends if you actually have vacancy in the given year).

Most properties end up with very low taxable income due to depreciation, which will not calculate into your cash flow. Depreciation is purchase price minus land value divided by 27.5. 

That all being said, the very best deals will show taxable income. Even if you use acceleration or other strategies to show a loss in the first couple years, taxable profit is hard to avoid over time. It is just a cost associated with being successful. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Carini Rochester
  • Investor
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Rochester, NY
Replied Jan 17 2022, 08:36

Analyzing cash flow and analyzing taxable profit are two different things. These spreadsheet attempt to give you an average result over a number of years of owning the property. You'll never get a year that exactly matches the spreadsheet. A common saying is, 'If you're investing in real estate and you're paying income tax, you're doing something wrong.'  With your business write-offs and your depreciation, your income tax should be quite low. I'd be interested in any information that @Ashish Acharya offers on this!

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Jan 17 2022, 09:30
Quote from @Carini Rochester:

Analyzing cash flow and analyzing taxable profit are two different things. These spreadsheet attempt to give you an average result over a number of years of owning the property. You'll never get a year that exactly matches the spreadsheet. A common saying is, 'If you're investing in real estate and you're paying income tax, you're doing something wrong.'  With your business write-offs and your depreciation, your income tax should be quite low. I'd be interested in any information that @Ashish Acharya offers on this!

There are only so many write-offs you can take and a write-off is just a business expense, so they also cut into cash flow. As rents increase over time, that depreciation has trouble offsetting income. The taxes catch up with you. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, other than making too much money, haha. 

If Ashish would like to, he could share that calculator on file place so it could just be downloaded here:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...