Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Peter Vanzino
Votes |
Cost Basis of Converted Property

Peter Vanzino
Posted Jan 22 2022, 15:16

I have a property that converted from personal use to a rental property in 2017. For depreciation on my taxes, the cost basis was defined with the fair market value at time of conversion. I am considering selling now, would the capital gain be based on the FMV in 2017 or the adjusted cost basis (purchase price + capital improvements - depreciation)? I think it is the adjusted cost basis, if that is correct, does it matter that this hasn't been defined in my tax returns previously?

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Jan 22 2022, 16:31

What value you used for depreciation upon conversion has no bearing on your gain...it is as you suspected. I assume you know that the "value" upon conversion to a rental for depreciation is the Lower of FMV, or your existing cost basis, you don't get to choose.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Vanzino
Votes |
Replied Jan 22 2022, 18:25

Thank you Wayne. The FMV at conversion was significantly lower than my original cost basis, so I just wanted to confirm just in case.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Jan 22 2022, 18:43

@Peter Vanzino

Unless I’m not understanding something g, I’d think it’s a bit of both…. Your cost basis your fmv at the time less depreciation etc…. Your tax liability will be between capital gains and depreciation unrecapture…

User Stats

Votes
Natalie Kolodij
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Charlotte, NC
ModeratorReplied Jan 23 2022, 10:20
You gain will be sale price- closing costs- OG Basis - Depreciation. 

The lower FMV basis used for depreciation is only for that. The determined depreciation Adjusts that basis but the gain is based on actual purchase price + adjustments