User Stats

Votes
Josh Fox
Votes |
Kansas City Real Estate Lawyer Needed

Josh Fox
Posted Jan 28 2022, 06:23

Hello,

My wife and I just closed in our first investment property in Blue Springs MO. We are based in NC and have a local LLC. We need assistance with three questions:

1. Do we need to register as a foreign entity in MO?

2. Can my lawyer from NC perform a quit claim, or is it better to have local council assist to navigate state specific laws?

3. Is a lawyer required to draft lease terms or are we ok using boiler plate?

Would also love to connect w a lawyer in the KC area if anyone is willing to help!

Best

Josh

User Stats

Votes
Steven May
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Jan 28 2022, 10:09

Ted Anderson is my go to real estate focused lawyer 

User Stats

Votes
Alex Olson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City Metro
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City Metro
Replied Jan 28 2022, 12:48

BJ Craig or Casey Crawford are excellent resources. 

Xchange CRE - 1031 Exchange RE Brokerage Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Josh Fox
Votes |
Replied Jan 28 2022, 13:41

Thanks both! I will send out some emails to see if anyone is able to assist

User Stats

Votes
Laura Williams
  • Kansas City MO
Votes |
  • Kansas City MO
Replied Jan 29 2022, 06:53

@Josh Fox

I'm not a lawyer..only an investor. If you own your MO property in your NC LLC you are suppose to register your LLC as a foreign entity doing business in the state of MO. I believe this is same in every state. You can also open a Missouri LLC very easily. I don't know about 2 +people LLCs but for a single member in Missouri it's a one time $50 fee to the state and no other fees or filing requirements after that.

As far as performing a quit claim I've used title companies in the past to do mine. It's pretty easy and simple process. You could probably use a lawyer but you can also use a title company FYI.

For your lease terms your property manager will have their own leases they will want to use. There's alot of little things that need to go into a lease aside from legal you'll need to think through & know what is standard in the area ...like who does lawn and snow removal, pet policy/fees  ....have had a ton of tenants move in without pets and then get them later without approval so what is your policy on that going to be? , notice for inspections, lease renewal clause, restrictions on additional occupants, cleaning fees for when they move out etc etc. For example in KC is standard for tenants in houses to be responsible for pest like mice or roaches, bed bugs etc. In apartments it's on the landlord. I've had where tenants call me and expect me to pay for extermination for mice or roaches and a couple times tenants brazenly asked for bed bugs even though that was clearly on them they brought into the house. I had another tenant complaining his grass wasn't green enough and needed me to do something about it or wanting someone to come pick up trash that people had put in his yard. If these details are in the lease you can point to it and save yourself big headaches later.

User Stats

Votes
Brett Mach
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Platte City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Platte City, MO
Replied Jan 29 2022, 19:12

Agreed--with a helpful title co, you don't need a lawyer to quit-claim. Could hire a lawyer to save time on MO LLC, but pretty easy to DIY. Still, if you want local lawyer, I've been working with Kevin Corlew with PathGuide law firm in Gladstone. He has lots of experience and does all sorts of small business stuff in addition to real estate. Congrats on Blue Springs!