Skip to content
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes

Seeking Chicago-area Real Estate Litigation Attorney

Posted Jul 4 2022, 14:15

Hello,

Bought a house with a "zero lot line" boundary in the Chicago suburbs (2.5 to 1 foot of land between my house and the neighbor's lot). 

It's a fixer upper and requires some essential repairs to address water entry (replace siding and fix foundation). Neighbors are a bit difficult and I expect they'll, at a minimum, give me a really hard time about getting temporary access to their property to get the necessary work done.

I'd like to be prepared in case that happens  - to understand my options and if the Illinois entry on Adjoining Land to Accomplish Repairs Act may be helpful in my case. 

Hoping someone on BiggerPockets may have a recommendation for a great attorney.

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Replied Jul 6 2022, 07:46

@Christine Griffin I have an attorney who does some litigation in addition to RE closings. I will reach out to him to see if this is something he handles. 

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.166619)

Forte Properties, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Aug 5 2022, 09:02

Hey @Christine Griffin - Welcome to the Chicago BP forums!  Congrats on your most recent purchase.....what neighborhood of Chicago is it in?

I have a couple of real estate attorneys that do litigation, but my recommendation would be to take it one step at a time and don't necessarily worry about a problem that isn't created yet.  I understand wanting to be prepared, but I think if you can take an approach with your neighbors that is friendly and want to improve the neighborhood it will go a long way!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes