• Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Investment Interest Expense

Wences Lopez
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jul 21 2022, 12:57

hey everyone, I was having a conversation with my boss & she asked if I’m writing off the interest on my properties as an expense. I had no idea this was even possible. Anyone else do this? If it matters my investment properties are in Arizona. Thanks !

User Stats

Votes
Ashish Acharya
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Replied Jul 21 2022, 14:18

Yeah, you you can deduct interest expense unless you are limited under 163(j). 

User Stats

Votes
Wences Lopez
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 21 2022, 15:20

Thank you for confirming this, I appreciate you! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plaks
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Jul 21 2022, 15:29
Quote from @Wences Lopez:

hey everyone, I was having a conversation with my boss & she asked if I’m writing off the interest on my properties as an expense. I had no idea this was even possible. Anyone else do this? If it matters my investment properties are in Arizona. Thanks !

Getting tax advice from your boss is a problem right there. Unless she is an accountant. She may not know enough or, even worse, know enough to be dangerous.

That said, you absolutely should be deducting interest on your investment properties. The fact that you have not been doing it makes me wonder what else you have been overlooking. Get your tax returns reviewed by a real estate accountant. Good news: there's still time to fix your oversights for the last 3 years and get your money back if you left it on the table.

User Stats

Votes
Wences Lopez
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 21 2022, 16:02

Yeah you’re right, I’m sure I’m overlooking a lot of things as I’m new to investing. I got my first rental in august 2021 & my second one the beginning of the year. I was “waiting” towards tax season for next year to look for a CPA but I’m guessing a wise thing to do is to look for one now. Thanks for your input!