Skip to content
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Lassiter
Votes |
401K TO SELF DIRECTED IRA, structure?????? tax??????

Jordan Lassiter
Posted Jul 22 2022, 15:35

So, me and my business partner have built a decent portfolio and are now getting to the point where we need to raise capital to keep the ball moving at a good pace. I have a direct family member who wants to invest with us a debt partner. We have come to terms with an initial 70k investment from her at 8.5% interest for 5 years which can be secured by a piece of real estate. The wall we are hitting is that she wants to use her traditional retirement account but does not want to be taxed yet. My understanding is that you can roll the 401k into a self-directed IRA without any tax penalties, and she is over 59.5 years old so there is no pre penalties either. I'm having a hard time finding a custodian that offers this type of account for this purpose. Most are telling me it can be done but its murky waters and that's about it. The process would be that she rolls her traditional 401k into self-directed IRA, then wires her 70k investment from IRA account to our LLC our LLC will pay her monthly installments at 8.5% and balloon payment at year 5....Can this be done????

User Stats

Votes
Brian Eastman
Pro Member
  • Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor
  • Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor
  • Wenatchee, WA
Replied Jul 22 2022, 15:41

@Jordan Lassiter

Self-directed IRA plans are handled by specialty firms. If you call Vanguard or Schwab (etc.) and ask about real estate lending from an IRA, you get a blank stare. It is simply not part of their services and therefore not part of their training.

Who is the direct family member? You and your business would be considered a disqualified person to her IRA if this person is lineal family like parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren, or the spouse of a descendant. In that case, her IRA could not lend to your venture.

If she is not one of those people, then she can setup a self-directed IRA and lend to you from her IRA.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Jul 22 2022, 15:55

I use Forge Trust for my self directed IRA. It's also a ROTH.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 22 2022, 17:03

@Jordan Lassiter

Nuview

Quest

Alto

Midatlantic

Forge

Are a few self directed ira companies people use.

User Stats

Votes
Dmitriy Fomichenko
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Replied Jul 23 2022, 17:26

@Jordan Lassiter

Any of the companies on the list above can help set up a self-directed IRA for alternative investments. The transfer would be tax and penalties free. The you would need a promissory note drafted plus deed of trust / mortgage to secure IRA's interest. And make sure she is not one of the people on this list, which list disqualified persons.