Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Allen Steindel
Votes |
Liability on self built tiny home.

Allen Steindel
Posted Aug 11 2022, 13:04

I am building a tiny home on wheels with the help of a licensed general contractor and sub contractors for plumbing and electrical. In my area you do not have to have a permit for this type of build. I plan to rent it out as an STR but am worried about the liability if someone where to get hurt on the property and sue on the basis that the build is not up to rv code. What is the best way to protect myself from this and and attorney recommendations would be appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Aug 11 2022, 13:43

How is a tiny home on wheels different than a camping trailer?

Is it just floor layout (no bunks, no slide out sides, etc...)

Because some of those pull behinds are pretty nice--is a tiny home on wheels nicer than say a Jayco Eagle (???) as shown below.

Both are not Real Estate, they are both chattel (depreciating assets).

What makes them different (???)

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Messinger
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Poconos, PA
Replied Aug 11 2022, 14:21

Hey @Allen Steindel

@Scott Mac made a very good point! Not much of a difference in a tiny home on wheels vs. an RV. But, would love to see what you have in mind for this! 

If you ever have any questions either please don't hesitate to reach out! 

All the best,

Josh

Keller Williams Real Estate Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Aug 11 2022, 20:18

@Allen Steindel Honestly, it would depend on the types of tenants you get in place. Many I've known in the real estate investing business for a while have never been sued due to the types of people they choose to work with for their units. 

Though for peace of mind, if you're interested you may want to look into general liability insurance. 

Hope that helps! 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Eichler
  • Realtor
  • Pocono Pines, PA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Pocono Pines, PA
Replied Aug 12 2022, 09:41

Hey, @Allen Steindel I'm not the most knowledgeable on this topic, but I'm interested to hear what you find out. I do know that Airbnb has its own insurance that will take precedent over yours first. I suggest to reach out to an Airbnb rep and see what they think.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any further questions about STR I'm happy to help

best of luck, 

Mike 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Reynolds
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • construction
  • Nacogdoches, TX
Replied Aug 12 2022, 20:23
Quote from @Allen Steindel:

I am building a tiny home on wheels with the help of a licensed general contractor and sub contractors for plumbing and electrical. In my area you do not have to have a permit for this type of build. I plan to rent it out as an STR but am worried about the liability if someone where to get hurt on the property and sue on the basis that the build is not up to rv code. What is the best way to protect myself from this and and attorney recommendations would be appreciated.

There is actually a code on tiny homes in the IBC. That doesn't mean you have to follow them if you build it in a no code area. If you dont though, you could face liability for the ignorance of the code. So far, there is not much to follow. Most are stair/ladder and accessibility regs. look them up and have your contractor follow them just in case.