Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Olivia Lovely
Votes |
Interest on loan for HELOC

Olivia Lovely
Posted Aug 15 2022, 15:32

I am curious if this community knows if the interest on a HELOC loan can be deducted on my tax filings if I use it to purchase property m- or is it only tax deductible if I use the money for my primary residence?

User Stats

Votes
Sergey A. Petrov
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Aug 15 2022, 15:51

As usual check with your tax advisor. Typically, yes, it would be deductible on a new investment purchase. May not be deductible if you use it to buy a $20k couch for your primary residence 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Aug 15 2022, 15:57

@Olivia Lovely

According to the link below, it’s only deductible if it’s used on the property the heloc is held on

So if you have a heloc on your primary residence and use the funds as a down payment on another property the interest is not tax deductible is how I interpret it

As always speak to your tax advisor

https://www.investopedia.com/mortgage/heloc/tax-deductible/

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 15 2022, 16:18

Don't think so. I asked my CPA and it was a No. using a HELOC from a primary for investment was a no.

User Stats

Votes
Mike S.
  • Investor
  • Broward County, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Broward County, FL
Replied Aug 29 2022, 21:35

To my knowledge it is deductible as long as you can trace the use of the loan money. Where the confusion exists is that you can not deduct it as a a mortgage expense of your principal residence (personal itemized deduction). However, the interest will be entered as investment/business expense in the same location (schedule C/E..) where you entered your investment/business income. 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...