Skip to content
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Jason O'Day
Votes |
Does my LLC require a license to manage my rentals?

Jason O'Day
Posted Sep 19 2022, 17:04

I own a property in my own name that will soon become an STR. I want to run everything through my LLC. In order to do this, does my LLC require a real estate license since the property is in my own personal name?

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Replied Sep 19 2022, 17:25

@Jason O'Day

Simple answer is no.

Unless your jurisdiction requires you or a person to hold a license to rent, then it would be the same for an LLC.

If you're moving your assets under your LLC, your most immediate question should be is your LLC and its Operating Agreement set up correctly? Then your next question, do you have a Will or Trust and how are they set up.

Pull out your LLC, LLC operating agreement, Will and/or Trust. If you died today, what would happen to your assets?

For example, you died today.  Your Will leaves your assets to ??????.  The will has to go through Probate and takes a year.  In the meantime, the bank is foreclosing on your property's because your beneficiary can't pay the expenses and the P/I.  You have money in the bank but since you didn't set it up under a TOD to the beneficiary and had a Will that has to go through Probate versus a Trust which could have given them immediate Legal access, all of your hard work not only goes down the drain, but you have tied up your Beneficiary into a legal mess.

You want to talk with a Trust Attorney and not your normal Attorney.

User Stats

Votes
Devon Harris
  • Investor
  • Pearl, MS
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pearl, MS
Replied Oct 15 2022, 07:55
Quote from @Henry Clark:

@Jason O'Day

Simple answer is no.

Unless your jurisdiction requires you or a person to hold a license to rent, then it would be the same for an LLC.

If you're moving your assets under your LLC, your most immediate question should be is your LLC and its Operating Agreement set up correctly? Then your next question, do you have a Will or Trust and how are they set up.

Pull out your LLC, LLC operating agreement, Will and/or Trust. If you died today, what would happen to your assets?

For example, you died today.  Your Will leaves your assets to ??????.  The will has to go through Probate and takes a year.  In the meantime, the bank is foreclosing on your property's because your beneficiary can't pay the expenses and the P/I.  You have money in the bank but since you didn't set it up under a TOD to the beneficiary and had a Will that has to go through Probate versus a Trust which could have given them immediate Legal access, all of your hard work not only goes down the drain, but you have tied up your Beneficiary into a legal mess.

You want to talk with a Trust Attorney and not your normal Attorney.

good info

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes