Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
John Jasko
Votes |
IRA custodians that allow Real Estate investments

John Jasko
Posted Oct 28 2022, 07:07

I am considering a rollover from a previous employer's IRA to a new custodian that will permit investments in real estate, particularly syndications as an LP. I have come across Advanta IRA, Provident Trust Group, and iPlan. Does anyone have experience with any of these companies?

User Stats

Votes
Charles Carillo
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Replied Oct 28 2022, 07:11

@John Jasko

I have heard of these companies but we found the fees to be a little high. We use a different SDIRA company with lower fees. DM me and I will send you their information. 

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Byrne
  • Lender
  • Newport Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Newport Beach, CA
Replied Oct 28 2022, 10:08

While I do not have experience with those particular companies, the SDIRA Custodians I have worked with are Forge Trust, Equity Trust, and uDirect. Out of the three, my favorite is Forge Trust for their fee structure and ease of access. If you have not looked at these firms already, feel free to run a quick Google Search and compare them to your existing options.

Best of luck!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brian Eastman
Pro Member
  • Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor
  • Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Self Directed IRA & 401k Advisor
  • Wenatchee, WA
Replied Oct 28 2022, 18:23

@John Jasko

As a plan provider, I cannot make a specific recommendation as to a company to work with per BP guidelines.

What I can help you do, however, is refine your question.

Self-directed IRA's come in several formats offered by different types of companies. The type of self-directed IRA that will best suit your situation and goals will drive the process of identifying the right firm to work with.

A self-directed IRA custodian is a processing entity. Think E*Trade or Fidelity with different paperwork. All IRA based plans are required to have a custodian to administer and report on the account. What makes a self-directed IRA custodian different is that they are not purely connected to the public exchanges and limited to investing in stocks, bonds and funds, but rather have the staff training and paperwork to document the IRA's investment in the more individualized transactions that occur when investing in real estate, notes and other non-traditional assets.

Such custodians will hold funds, sign documents, issue expenses and receive income on behalf of your IRA and act as your processing layer. This works OK for a small portfolio of relatively static and simple investments like a private placement or crowdfund, but can become rather cumbersome and expensive with multiple assets or more time sensitive and transaction intensive assets such as a rental property. You also need to be aware that custodians are passive in nature and simply process transactions at your direction. They do not provide meaningful oversight or guidance with respect to tax code compliance.

A checkbook IRA LLC is an enhancement on the above structure that is generally more time and cost efficient for investors with a more diverse portfolio. It starts with a self-directed IRA held by a custodian, but the IRA simply makes one investment into a specially designed LLC entity. The IRA owns the LLC, but you can be the non-owner manager of the LLC and have signing authority. This allows you to directly manage transactions via the LLC and eliminates the paperwork, processing delays and per-transaction fees of the custodian. These plans typically cost a bit more to establish due to the legal work, but in most cases will save you considerably over the long term. With a quality provider, such plans also come bundled with meaningful consulting guidance to help you get the most out of the program while staying inside the IRS guidelines.

A similar checkbook program is a Solo 401(k). Such plans are available to those who have some form of self-employment and no full time employees. As an owner-only business retirement plan, the Solo 401(k) has higher contribution limits, allowing you to build your savings on the front end as well as providing investment flexibility. The Solo 401(k) also has the advantage of being more favorable for real estate investments using debt-financing such as a mortgage - as the 401(k) is exempted from a small tax called UDFI that an IRA would pay on the percentage of income derived from the borrowed money. If you qualify for this plan, it will be the best vehicle for investing in syndications since they are almost always debt-financed.

Several of the comments above hinge on price - which is of course important - but is well down the list of the most important things you want out of a self-directed IRA partner. Accessibility, responsiveness, and quality of guidance rank much higher.

So, as you continue your research and get feedback here on BP, think about what type of program will best suit your needs and be sure to ask questions along that line. Get on the phone and speak with a few of the providers that are active here on BP. You will pretty quickly be able to tell who is just selling something and who can become a valuable member of your team.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Oct 28 2022, 18:42

@John Jasko

Note I do not have a sdira but manage a fund. The ones we like to work with for our real estate fund are quest, nuview and Midatlantic - quest being our go to preferred vendor right now

There are others and some are the largest but are awful funding real estate transactions.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Crowell
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Mansfield, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Mansfield, MA
Replied Oct 31 2022, 03:51

Hi John - 

It all depends on what you're looking for so go with your own due diligence. I, myself am looking at Mid-Atlantic and Quest. Quest looks as if they have higher fees, but you also get a lot of education, events, and services with it. Also, and most importantly, they are very good in my real estate investing - note investing. Be sure to get questions answered on what you want and who you feel comfortable with. You'll find someone you like and you won't feel as if you're being sold. Good luck. 

User Stats

Votes
Alex Talcott
  • Attorney
  • Durham, NH
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Durham, NH
Replied Oct 31 2022, 05:07

I like

https://www.mysolo401k.net/

+