• Developer
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Property tax appeals in Hamilton County, TN

Sam Mitchell
  • Developer
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Nov 8 2022, 11:55

Hi folks, I have a rental property in Chattanooga, and wondering about how property tax appeals work there. I'm used to Atlanta / Fulton County, GA where you can appeal every three years, and the values are then frozen for three years. Is there a similar process in Hamilton? Is appealing every year the optimal move? Any advice appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Byrne
  • Lender
  • Newport Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Newport Beach, CA
Replied Nov 8 2022, 13:03
See below excerpt from the Hamilton County website: https://www.hamiltontn.gov/***...

First review your property information on the Hamilton County Assessor of Property property search tool and sales comparison tool, or contact our office at 423-209-7990 to speak with an appraiser who will go over the information with you. If you are still not satisfied with your value then you can file an appeal with the County Board of Equalization. Please file your informal review and appeals before May 20th. Appeals to the county board are accepted through mid-June (please contact our office for the exact date).

Looks like the county reappraises every four years, so you likely can appeal every fourth year as well with the change in adjusted fair market value. The last adjustment was made in 2021, it appears. Here is another article I found with some more information about how frequently you can appeal value. https://noogatoday.6amcity.com....

From my reading, you may have missed the opportunity to file an appeal for this cycle. That said, there may be exceptions like if you just purchased the property. I am not an expert on taxes in Hamilton County, TN, but hopefully this helps you get started on your search and perhaps others may comment here with their personal experience.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Sam Mitchell
  • Developer
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Nov 8 2022, 13:10

Thanks Aaron. So doesn't sound like appealing freezes the value regardless of whether the appeal is successful or not. Just need to know to appeal at every reassessment. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes