Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Lynn Green
Votes |
How do I find a good CPA

Lynn Green
Posted Nov 22 2022, 14:43

I had a "good" CPA for five years until we had to part ways due to the lack of knowledge on real-estate tax deductions. I have heard on Bigger Pockets Pod Cast that there are no CPA's that specialize in Real-estate and that we need to know our stuff. My CPA was Charging me their time to understand the tax rules I was bringing to them. I was paying for their education. 

Any suggestions where I can look for a CPA with Real Estate Tax knowledge? I am networking as well.

Thanks,

User Stats

Votes
Katherine Serrell
  • Investor
  • Raleigh
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Raleigh
Replied Nov 22 2022, 16:53
Quote from @Lynn Green:

I had a "good" CPA for five years until we had to part ways due to the lack of knowledge on real-estate tax deductions. I have heard on Bigger Pockets Pod Cast that there are no CPA's that specialize in Real-estate and that we need to know our stuff. My CPA was Charging me their time to understand the tax rules I was bringing to them. I was paying for their education. 

Any suggestions where I can look for a CPA with Real Estate Tax knowledge? I am networking as well.

Thanks,

CPA here. You absolutely can find a CPA that specializes in real estate. In my opinion, the best way to go about finding one is to network with your local REIA or local real estate investing Facebook group. Almost always if you post in one of those groups you will get a bunch of similar hits with people who have actual knowledge of what that CPA brings to the table and their rates. I’ve had good luck with that in two markets. In my opinion, your CPA should have referred out to someone else if they didn’t have the knowledge, expertise, or skill set to meet their client’s needs. If you are doing specific types of transactions (flips, BRRRs, etc) in a specific market, you could also find the person doing similar deals to yours (leverage tax deeds, property records, permits etc.) and ask them. They will be your best resource. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plaks
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Tax Accountant / Enrolled Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied Nov 22 2022, 21:43
Quote from @Lynn Green:

Any suggestions where I can look for a CPA with Real Estate Tax knowledge? 

Right here. :) 

This very forum features more than 20 of us. Browse the forum, select your favorites and contact them privately.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brian Plajer
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chalfont, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chalfont, PA
Replied Nov 23 2022, 07:06

I was going to post a similar question. I am hoping to purchase an apartment building soon and the bigger pockets podcast was very informative that you really need a tax advisor who understands  accelerated depreciation etc.  I am hoping to find someone so I am ready to go when the sale happens.