User Stats

Votes
Amar Amar
Votes |
HELOC - Interest deduction

Amar Amar
Posted Nov 24 2022, 05:44

Hello,

I bought an investment property with cash from the HELOC on my primary residence. Can I deduct this interest payment as expense on my investment property to offset the rental income?

Thank you for the responses/help. 

User Stats

Votes
Matt Devincenzo
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Clairemont, CA
Replied Nov 24 2022, 06:22

Yes, lookup interest tracing. Essentially you deduct (or don't deduct) interest on a loan based on what it was used for not necessarily where it came from. E.g. your HELOC is on your primary, but the interest isn't deductible against your primary residential expense, it is deductible against the investment property.

User Stats

Votes
Amar Amar
Votes |
Replied Nov 24 2022, 08:12
Quote from @Matt Devincenzo:

Yes, lookup interest tracing. Essentially you deduct (or don't deduct) interest on a loan based on what it was used for not necessarily where it came from. E.g. your HELOC is on your primary, but the interest isn't deductible against your primary residential expense, it is deductible against the investment property.

Matt - Thank you, that helps. 
NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Amby Bhagtani
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 24 2022, 11:10

Curious what is your HELOC rate? I have been quoted as much as 8%.

User Stats

Votes
Amar Amar
Votes |
Replied Nov 26 2022, 15:50
Quote from @Amby Bhagtani:

Curious what is your HELOC rate? I have been quoted as much as 8%.

Check with PNC.  They no longer have the promotional rate that I got but should be around 6. DM if you need contact details.

User Stats

Votes
Mason Dylan Hernandez
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex
Replied Nov 26 2022, 15:54

How does the payment on that compared to the payment on a conventional mortgage? Did you do an interest only? I am looking to use the equity on my investment property to try to purchase another one so I am very intrigued

User Stats

Votes
Amar Amar
Votes |
Replied Nov 26 2022, 17:56
Quote from @Mason Dylan Hernandez:

How does the payment on that compared to the payment on a conventional mortgage? Did you do an interest only? I am looking to use the equity on my investment property to try to purchase another one so I am very intrigued

I took on my primary. You will find more options and good rates if it’s on primary. Same doesn’t seem to be the case when tapping the equity on investment property. Since the heloc I have is on my primary, it’s pretty much comparable to conventional mortgage rates with no closing cost and I have an option to go for fixed rate (at 5.85% this month).