User Stats

Votes
Edwin Wong
Votes |
Looking for Real Estate Lawyer

Edwin Wong
Posted Nov 29 2022, 12:14

Hi all,

I just purchased a condo unit a few months ago and was able to rent the place out. A few months in now, my downstair neighbor mentioned that the previous owner made an arrangement with them and said they can do a sound test inside the unit. I allowed them to come in to completed the sound test, now the test result is saying that the sound proofing in the floor/ceiling assembly is not up to building code. I am not sure what to do next, especially now that I have a tenant in the unit. Looking to see if there are any legal advise or any general advice.

thanks!

-Edwin Wong

User Stats

Votes
Larry Bondar
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tacoma, WA
Votes |
  • Tacoma, WA
Replied Nov 29 2022, 15:17

@Edwin Wong what city state?

User Stats

Votes
Edwin Wong
Votes |
Replied Nov 29 2022, 15:20
Quote from @Larry Bondar:

@Edwin Wong what city state?

The condo is in Long Beach, California
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Larry Bondar
  • Tacoma, WA
Votes |
  • Tacoma, WA
Replied Nov 30 2022, 08:30

@Edwin Wong

Almost nothing is up to today’s code besides new builds they always upgrading codes so no I wouldn’t do anything they are crazy! Most I’d do is drill a few small holes in the ceiling and foam in some areas that are maybe not insulated right or where holes like pipes go through or vents that should be the easiest way to satisfy them Sorry if I wasn’t much help I’m in wa state

User Stats

Votes
Edwin Wong
Votes |
Replied Nov 30 2022, 15:57
Quote from @Larry Bondar:

@Edwin Wong

Almost nothing is up to today’s code besides new builds they always upgrading codes so no I wouldn’t do anything they are crazy! Most I’d do is drill a few small holes in the ceiling and foam in some areas that are maybe not insulated right or where holes like pipes go through or vents that should be the easiest way to satisfy them Sorry if I wasn’t much help I’m in wa state

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Fox
  • Attorney
  • NV and CA
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • NV and CA
Replied Dec 10 2022, 16:37

@Edwin Wong- Did the neighbor cite a specific building code or did they just say it didn't meet the building code?  Did they provide you the results of the sound test in writing?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Dec 10 2022, 17:39

@Edwin Wong

This is not your problem - tell them to bring it up to the condo board. You didn’t build it or modify the structure.

This is an association issue not a condo owner issue

User Stats

Votes
Shiela R.
  • Investor
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boulder, CO
Replied Dec 13 2022, 08:43

@Edwin Wong how is this going? I have seen these conflicts if you go against the common interest community docs (aka the HOA guidelines, covenants, etc). Most HOAs make you get written approval for cosmetic changes - particularly with shared floors/ceilings. Are you saying that this is the original flooring or was it replaced at some point? Do you have any documentation from the previous owner? Or the downstairs tenant? Are you sure it's against an actual building code or just the HOA covenants?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 26 2023, 03:54

Anyone knows a good Real Estate Lawyer in Charlotte NC? I am looking for someone that understands owning single family rental and ways to protect assets.

Preferably How series LLC could be used in NC from another State or if something similar can be done in NC to act like in Series.

it will help if this Lawyer has tax practices background (i.e CPA/Attorney)

thanks

User Stats

Votes
Kirsten M.
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Albuquerque, NM
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Albuquerque, NM
Replied Feb 26 2023, 09:42
Quote from @Darway Dalmeida:

Anyone knows a good Real Estate Lawyer in Charlotte NC? I am looking for someone that understands owning single family rental and ways to protect assets.

Preferably How series LLC could be used in NC from another State or if something similar can be done in NC to act like in Series.

I'll send you a referral for an attorney that sets up Series LLCs. His firm has an in-house CPA.

it will help if this Lawyer has tax practices background (i.e CPA/Attorney)

thanks

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 26 2023, 15:41

@Edwin Wong, I learned a long time ago to not let anyone but you make a decision on your property financially. I will absolute ignore sound test!! This is for the neighbor comfort therefore I will politely inform the nice neighbor, I wont be paying for a sound test and they could take this up with the original builder or pay for it.

Trust me, if this is a condo, you are not the only owner dealing with sound test issues.