Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Katie Miller
Pro Member
  • General Manager, Publishing at BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
If you use a CPA or Tax Professional, how did you find him or her?

Katie Miller
Pro Member
  • General Manager, Publishing at BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
ModeratorPosted Feb 15 2023, 14:00

How did you find your CPA or tax professional? 

If you haven't yet found a CPA or tax professional to help you save on your tax bill each year, would you want BP to help recommend a tax professional for you? We're here to help! 

Post your thoughts below 👇👇👇👇

A friend or another investor recommended them
I found them on BiggerPockets
I found them via online search engine (Google, Bing, etc.)
I met them at an in-person event or meetup
Other
I just want to see the answers so I can find my own CPA this year!

User Stats

Votes
Janet Behm
  • Accountant
  • West Jordan, UT
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • West Jordan, UT
Replied May 17 2023, 16:26
Quote from @Eddie Ray:

Im currently looking for a RE tax professional/preparer in San Diego, CA. Obviously they need to specialize in real estate rentals, holdings, and LLC.

Any help and direction would be great! BP would be great too but I do prefer to work in person so hopefully someone local

Eddie

Eddie, contact my friend, Raymond Sawyer, he is in San Diego. He is a tax strategist and uses real estate for most of his strategies.

Raymond Sawyer, CTC

Sawyer Accounting Tax

User Stats

Votes
Janet Behm
  • Accountant
  • West Jordan, UT
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • West Jordan, UT
Replied May 17 2023, 16:30
Quote from @Ashley Stephenson:

I am actively looking for an REI-friendly CPA in Nevada and am struggling with where to look and how to know if they know what they are talking about. A BP-recommended tax professional in my area would be immensely useful!

Ashley, what city are you in? I'm part of a mastermind group, with members all over.
New Western logo
New Western
|
Sponsored
Exclusive Off-Market Properties For Your Investment Strategies The Largest Private Source of Investment Properties In The Nation. Find Your Next Rehab Project

User Stats

Votes
Kleyn Lopez
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 18 2023, 11:14

Quote from @Eddie Ray:

Im currently looking for a RE tax professional/preparer in San Diego, CA. Obviously they need to specialize in real estate rentals, holdings, and LLC.

Any help and direction would be great! BP would be great too but I do prefer to work in person so hopefully someone local

Eddie

@Eddie Ray I found a guy in San Diego that went to West Point and specialized in Real Estate - he has been great for me!

@Keegan Wetzel I just relocated to the San Diego area as well, and would like to connect with your CPA, could you possibly send me his information? Thanks so much!

User Stats

Votes
Katie Balatbat
  • Attorney
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • San Diego, CA
Replied May 23 2023, 15:07

@Kleyn Lopez

I have referrals in the San Diego area if you are in need of additional CPA recommendations.

User Stats

Votes
Franklin Navarro
  • Rental Property Investor
  • McKinney, TX
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • McKinney, TX
Replied May 24 2023, 07:36

DFW area here,

I have been looking for a REI friendly CPA for sometime, never realized how hard it can be to find a good one. Any recommendations?

User Stats

Votes
Janet Behm
  • Accountant
  • West Jordan, UT
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • West Jordan, UT
Replied May 26 2023, 12:22
Franklin,
Please contact my Associate in Dallas, at Hall Accounting & Tax
Ask for Merry, the Executive Assistant. She will get you set up with a consultation.
They specialize in High-Level Tax Strategy, using real estate as the primary vehicle. 
I will let Merry know to expect your call.  (I am avoiding phone numbers and websites so this response doesn't get redacted)
Good luck, Janet

User Stats

Votes
Nate Meeker
Tax & Financial Services
  • Real Estate CPA | California
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Replied May 29 2023, 21:31
Quote from @Eddie Ray:

Eddie

I am in Temecula and currently taking on new clients. If you would like me to double-check check your current preparer is providing optimal services for a competitive price, let me know! 

User Stats

Votes
Nate Meeker
Tax & Financial Services
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Replied May 29 2023, 21:33
Quote from @Wesley I.:

Found mine while attending a real estate/small business tax conference.

I am in Temecula and currently taking on new clients. If you would like me to double-check check your current preparer is providing optimal services for a competitive price, let me know!

User Stats

Votes
Nate Meeker
Tax & Financial Services
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Replied May 29 2023, 21:33
Quote from @Kleyn Lopez:

Quote from @Eddie Ray:

Eddie

@Eddie Ray I found a guy in San Diego that went to West Point and specialized in Real Estate - he has been great for me!

@Keegan Wetzel I just relocated to the San Diego area as well, and would like to connect with your CPA, could you possibly send me his information? Thanks so much!

User Stats

Votes
Javier Molina
  • Port Ludlow, WA
Votes |
  • Port Ludlow, WA
Replied Jul 14 2023, 15:51
Quote from @Rebecca E.:

@Katie Miller

I came here because I just had my yearly with my new accountant. I've gone through 4 different ones in the past 4 years and I've finally found a good one.

I had recommdations from people who didn't do real estate, terrible. I used one frequently discussed in BP, TERRIBLE AND EXPENSIVE. Now I found one that specializes in real estate investors that was recommended by an online mentor. This one is good.

Who did you end up using?

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Byron
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 15 2023, 13:48

I’m looking for a tax pro that will assist with understanding and maximizing deductions and business expenses, but also guide me through the cost segregation and accelerated depreciation process. 

I’ve been logging my time and am well on my way to Real Estate Professional status. My wife is a high earner and this is my only job. We really want take advantage of accelerated depreciation to lower our tax liability. 

I’m in Missouri, but don’t necessarily need a tax pro that’s where I live. I had a referral but the firm isn’t currently taking on new clients. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 3 2023, 12:28
Are you still looking for a CPA? I'm the director of operations at Your Tax Team. We are a small team of CPAs with over 15 years of experience. Happy to make a connection if still needed. 

Quote from @Kleyn Lopez:

Quote from @Eddie Ray:

Eddie

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 8 2023, 18:19

Any recommendations on a CPA who is familiar with taxes regarding hawaii real estate investments in addition to S-corp, LLCs, and backdoor roth contributions (i.e. properly filing form 8606)?  

User Stats

Votes
Lucas Ferrado Quílez
  • Daytona Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Daytona Beach, FL
Replied Aug 20 2023, 16:18

I'm currently looking for a CPA and tax expert to help me get started with my first rental property. I'm located in Daytona Beach, FL. Feel free to reach out if you are interested.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Pratt
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Aug 21 2023, 16:25

@Lucas Ferrado Quílez Hey Lucas, feel free to shoot me a message I've got a few recommendations for you.

User Stats

Votes
Hannah R Weiss
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Aug 23 2023, 14:44
Quote from @Oscar Meneses:
Quote from @Katie Miller:

How did you find your CPA or tax professional? 

If you haven't yet found a CPA or tax professional to help you save on your tax bill each year, would you want BP to help recommend a tax professional for you? We're here to help! 

Post your thoughts below 👇👇👇👇

@Katie Miller hello!  I´m an out-of-country investor looking for help with my legal and tax structure.

Since I´m just starting out, I need help with the basics: setting up the LLCs that we will use (looking to invest in different states), getting an ITIN, opening bank accounts, and identifying the tax strategies that we will employ for the deals we want to make.

I appreciate your recommendations.

Hi Oscar,

I'm also an out-of-country investor just starting out! Wondering if you found anyone to work with?

Thanks! :)

User Stats

Votes
Amy Konopka
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 21 2023, 13:07

I am completely finished my 2022 tax return (requested an extension) and am at a standstill due to my CostSeg (property placed in service 2022/cost seg done that same year). I have another rental property as well. 

I have REPS status, but currently rent this particular Property to my Property Management LLC that leases this home "from" me and and pays me 5000/month rent as shown on my soon to be Schedule E. My problem is Form 3115 and the -4 election (I think) because I want/need to aggregate my properties but also "pay myself" for one of these for use in my Property Management LLC that leases from me and uses the home as a Recovery Residence(housing only/no services provided)

Is there anyone that has experince or would be able to point me in the right direction toward someone who can wrpa up these two issues on my taxes? I'm looking/interviewing CPAs to handle my taxes next year!! 

User Stats

Votes
George P.
  • Professional
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 29 2023, 11:51

WANTED: CALIFORNIA TAX RETURN PRO

Need real estate tax pro in California to go over proposed draft.
Includes sale of rental property. 

User Stats

Votes
Sean O'Keefe
Votes |
Replied Sep 29 2023, 13:46

George P. if you don't find a California-based CPA you could see where people are based in the tax directory. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 5 2023, 11:14

I have invested $0 dollars into real estate investments but am on the cusp of investing $50k into my first multifamily syndicate (we're closing within a couple of weeks).

I'm looking for a CPA to answer a few of my questions and a lawyer to look over the documents I need to sign for the deal.

One of my main questions is, I've been told I'll receive a K1 statement and that my monthly returns will be tax free. 1) Is it true they will be tax free? 2) If not all of it, how much of it will be?

Other questions:

Should I create an LLC?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of while investing in this syndicate?

ALSO, what is a fair price to have someone answer these questions from me? I've seen prices range from $300 for an hour to thousands of dollars for the year (which I don't think I'll need an entire year).

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Oct 8 2023, 15:29
Quote from @Jessie Matlock:

One of my main questions is, I've been told I'll receive a K1 statement and that my monthly returns will be tax free. 1) Is it true they will be tax free? 2) If not all of it, how much of it will be?

The sponsor is likely suggesting that your monthly cash-flow will be shielded by depreciation and you will likely see your 'tax hit' when the syndication disolves which in industry standards is likely 5 to 7 years.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 9 2023, 08:35
Quote from @Victor Panchuk:

Looking for a CPA/Tax Pro in the Atlanta area as I am starting my investment journey.

Hey Victor, I'm also in the Atlanta area and am looking for an investor friendly CPA. Have you found any luck?

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Oct 11 2023, 09:27
Quote from @Basit Siddiqi:
Quote from @Jessie Matlock:

The sponsor is likely suggesting that your monthly cash-flow will be shielded by depreciation and you will likely see your 'tax hit' when the syndication disolves which in industry standards is likely 5 to 7 years.

So it sounds like it will be "tax-free" initially, but when the complex is sold after about five years I will be taxed on those monthly distributions.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 11 2023, 22:17
Quote from @Katie Miller:

@Oscar Meneses Check out the BP recommended tax partners here! https://www.biggerpockets.com/... They are all fabulous and can help you :) 

Helpful, will take a look! :)

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Abrado
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 18 2023, 10:27

Hey! Looking for a investor friendly CPA/Tax Pro in CT/NY area. All recommendations welcomed!