Votes
Carlos Silva
  • Argyle, TX
Votes |
Anyone know of a lawyer that specializes in HOAs

Carlos Silva
  • Argyle, TX
Posted Nov 7 2023, 17:05

My worst case scenario became a reality last night. The neighborhood HOA passed a motion to limit the number of rental properties. I just leased my home which was a primary residence last month. The max number of homes for lease is now 5%.

I believe it is wrong to make a change after I have already invested time and money into this house.  I should be grandfathered in until I decide to sell the property, not when the lease expires.

Should I try and fight this or is this a lost cause? I have another property with a HOA limit of 20%. There has been no issues there.

User Stats

Votes
Janet Behm
  • Accountant
  • West Jordan, UT
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • West Jordan, UT
Replied Feb 5 2024, 16:15

Carlos, 

Check out lawyers.com and search for HOA.

Here are three that seemed like possibilities. 

1. : Located in San Antonio, this law firm serves people and businesses in various areas including Real Estate Law.
  2. : Based in Dallas, they offer services in Real Estate and Business Disputes among others.
  3. : This law firm has been serving Waco and Central Texas since 1925.

For a DEEPER DIVE, go to the States Legislative Register and find out who proposed the law changes. Bet you it is a law firm that will make lots of money from the new legislation.

User Stats

Votes
Janet Behm
  • Accountant
  • West Jordan, UT
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • West Jordan, UT
Replied Feb 5 2024, 16:24

I APPOLOGIZE TO BP...

ooops, BP doesn't like links. 

1. Roman Law Office

2. Woolley Wilson, LLP

3. Dunnam & Dunnam, LLP

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Feb 5 2024, 16:31
Quote from @Carlos Silva:

My worst case scenario became a reality last night. The neighborhood HOA passed a motion to limit the number of rental properties. I just leased my home which was a primary residence last month. The max number of homes for lease is now 5%.

I believe it is wrong to make a change after I have already invested time and money into this house.  I should be grandfathered in until I decide to sell the property, not when the lease expires.

Should I try and fight this or is this a lost cause? I have another property with a HOA limit of 20%. There has been no issues there.

That is not uncommon unfortunately that they grandfather you in with the current lease (and not current tenant). Most HOA's are allowed to do this and in many instances not much you can do. This is a risk when investing in communities with HOA's.

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Silva
  • Argyle, TX
Votes |
  • Argyle, TX
Replied Feb 5 2024, 20:47
Quote from @Janet Behm:

I APPOLOGIZE TO BP...

ooops, BP doesn't like links. 

1. Roman Law Office

2. Woolley Wilson, LLP