• Commercial Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Henry Hicks - Tampa Real Estate Attorney

Eric Odum
  • Commercial Real Estate Broker
  • Tampa, FL
Posted Apr 29 2014, 18:01

I am not really sure where to post this, but I felt compelled to share. I learned about Henry Hicks reading a post from Jean Norton on BiggerPockets. She had hired Mr Hicks to help her with a quiet title situation and a negotiation with the Condo Association in a foreclosure matter.

I decided to use Mr Hicks for my own quiet title, based on her positive experiences and since then, I have used his services for other issues and have directed multiple other investors to him. I found him to be a champion of the small investor. He had created systems to help with title issues and other real estate issues at an affordable price. He recently had an appellate court rule in the favor of his client on a landmark case involving Condo associations and whether their liens would survive the tax sales.

Mr. Hicks passed away this weekend in a boating accident. I only knew him for a short time, but I feel like Tampa area investors lost a great resource.

Sorry, if this is the wrong place. If the moderators feel compelled, please move it to a more appropriate forum.

In Memoriam: Henry West Hicks

Henry West Hicks, age 60, passed away on Saturday, April 26, 2014 while boating off Anna Maria Island. A graduate of UNC Chapel Hill, Henry attend law school at Tulane University. His years in New Orleans cultivated his love for cooking and Louisiana Cajun cuisine. His annual crawfish boils have always been a much anticipated Tampa event.

Henry was passionate; passionate about his Christian faith, his family, his work, sports, boating, food, wine and life. He was a long standing active member of Hyde Park United Methodist Church participating in mission trips and teaching Disciple Bible Study. He cherished his beautiful daughter and embraced his step children.

Henry practiced law in Tampa for 35 years. He was a Board Certified Real Estate Attorney, specializing in foreclosure defense, quiet title actions, and transactional real estate. He was the founder of Henry W. Hicks P.A. and TitleMark of South Tampa. Never afraid to tackle new business ventures he had ownership in a restaurant, a hotel, a strawberry farm, and numerous rental properties.

An avid bicyclist, Henry logged many local miles as well as three RAGBRAI rides across Iowa and a week-long ride through New England. Ever the basketball enthusiast he played for Needham B. Broughton High School in Raleigh, coached the boys team at Saint John's Episcopal Middle School from 1998 to 2008, was a perennial March Madness fan of his beloved Tar Heels.

As a season ticket holder of the Rays and Bucs, he took great pleasure in spending a day at the game or giving his tickets to someone else to enjoy.
Beyond all, Henry's greatest passion was boating. Whether it was lobstering in the keys, spearfishing in the Gulf, or just going out for a ten minute sunset cruise on the "Bad Habit" with family and friends, Henry was happiest on the water. In his intense blue eyes you could see his soul and that his heart was full of love.

Henry is now on a new life adventure ahead of his loving wife Christine, his daughter, Jessie Helfrich Hicks, and his step-children, Jayne Major and Sam Major. He is also survived by his three siblings, Vonnie Hicks, Jane Lea Hicks, and Thomas (Tommy) Hicks, his nephews John Hicks, Zack Hicks, and Josh Hicks, wife Suzie and their baby boy born immediately after Henry's passing, Linus Henry Hicks. Henry also leaves hundreds of friends and their many happy memories.

A memorial will be held at 3:00pm on Thursday, May 1, 2014 at Hyde Park United Methodist Church. The family will receive friends at a reception immediately following the service at the Tampa Yacht Club. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to Metropolitan Ministries or a charity of your choice.

Loading replies...