Taking equity out on a partnership deal

1 Reply

I'm going in as a 50/50 partner in a deal to purchase 3 condos cash. Down the road I may wish to pull equity out of the homes to purchase other property.. It seems that pulling equity out would violate the terms of a 50/50 cash agreement as I'm basically putting a mortgage on the property, bringing in the bank as sort of a 3rd partner and bringing in risk  in the event I default on a mortgage payment.. 

My question is: How do I structure the partnership to allow me to do this without putting risk on the partner?

My first thought was not being able to pull out more equity than 50% of my share as the other 50% of my share would cover any chance of default.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Originally posted by @Ryan K.:

I'm going in as a 50/50 partner in a deal to purchase 3 condos cash. Down the road I may wish to pull equity out of the homes to purchase other property.. It seems that pulling equity out would violate the terms of a 50/50 cash agreement as I'm basically putting a mortgage on the property, bringing in the bank as sort of a 3rd partner and bringing in risk  in the event I default on a mortgage payment.. 

My question is: How do I structure the partnership to allow me to do this without putting risk on the partner?

My first thought was not being able to pull out more equity than 50% of my share as the other 50% of my share would cover any chance of default.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Ryan, 

Why not structure this as a loan to partner? Doing so would create an asset to the company instead of a draw of equity. As long as your other partner doesn't look at you as a credit risk, you're reducing the risk placed on him by releasing funds to you, disproportionate of your 50% ownership. Plus, the partnership receives a return on its investment, in the form of interest you're paying back.

The interest you would pay back would be deductible to you as business interest.

Nathaniel Busch, CPA

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.