Municipal Snow Fine Tax Deductible?

2 Replies

My account called me....  So we (landlord) received fines of $255 for our tenants failing to shovel the sidewalk.  I promptly wrote a check for the fines, and then sent my tenant a bill for the fines.  My tenants paid me for the fines.

My accountant is saying that Municipal Fines are not tax deductible.  So I can't deduct the expense of municipal fines...  Since I billed it back to my tenant I told him that they basically cancel each other out (revenue / expense of $255). 

Is this true?  Do I now have to pay taxes on income of $255 when I can't deduct the $255 as an expense?  

For fun, I'd also love to hear if anyone else has good stories for what their accountant gave them trouble with doing...  

I wish!!

I think your account is right. 

I bought a house in 2002, the city of New York demo the building on me 2 weeks after closing. I got a 30K demo fee from the city. Nearly bring a tear to my eye!!

Lucky, the new house I built on the lot went into a biding war.

You cannot deduct it, unless the tenant was supposed to maintain it and you got stuck with the bill.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.