Skip to content
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Alex W
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
C Corp or LLC as member of LLC to hold property (rental)

Alex W
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Aug 3 2008, 10:47

Hi guys, I have consulted a couple of asset protection/tax professionals and each have different ways of trying to structure my asset protection/tax strategies, which made everything more confusing.

1st scenario is this:

1. Form LLC to hold rental prop using myself and a C corp (me being 100% shareholder of C corp) as members of the LLC. So 2 members.

2. Then I use the C corp as the "manager" of the LLC. Meaning the LLC will pay the C corp a management fee.

3. Then I give myself a minimal salary from the C corp for services rendered.

So this means I have two types of income. One from the LLC as a pass-through then another from a C corp as salary.

2nd scenario:

1. Form single member LLC (me being the member)

2. Then create other LLCs to hold the properties, using the original LLC as the manager/member of all the other LLCs. I basically don't even put myself as a member of all the other LLCs, which means all the LLCs that hold property will all be single member LLCs.

So where do I get my income? Will it come from the original LLC since I'm the member there? Since the original LLC is the manager/member of the other LLCs that hold property, how does it get taxed now since it is not a person who owns it?

These are the 2 scenarios that were presented to me by two different attorneys I spoke with.

What do you guys think of each setup from an asset protection and tax savings point? Would be interesting to hear people's thoughts on this...

Thanks!

Alex

Loading replies...