Assistance Regarding City of Detroit Blight Violation Notice

8 Replies

I received a blight violation notice on a property I don't own anymore. Any recommendations how I can resolve this without having to appear in person?

I'd certainly contact the city to inform them you no longer own the property.  Surely there is some process for appealing.  Perhaps someone here knows the exact process.

That said, I do find it ironic that Detroit is giving out blight violations.

Originally posted by @Betty W. :

I received a blight violation notice on a property I don't own anymore. Any recommendations how I can resolve this without having to appear in person?

Do you have anything Recorded that shows transfer of ownership?

Do you have anything Notarized that shows transfer of ownership?

Do you have anything Written and Witnessed that shows transfer of ownership?

Did you or new owner file a Property Transfer Affidavit?

Was it a sale?

Is it in Detroit?

Who is the blight notice from (i.e. City , Land Bank, Neighborhood, etc.)

What statute are they bringing the action under?

Is the action against you personally, or the property?

It sounds like you don't want the property, what is your concern beyond that?

Over the last 6-8 months, the Blight Authority and Land Bank have taken a very strong stance on abandoned properties and absentee landlords, but they are generally only after the property. That said there are stronger statues in the event that some form of criminal activity is taking place at the property.

General advise: If you are being sued consult an attorney, not a real-estate blog.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I was not able to hold onto the property, so it was foreclosed by the City of Detroit. I had called the number on the notice and the person who answered mentioned I have to appear in person to appeal. However, I am not able to. Looking to see if I have other options.

Thank you,

Betty

What is the whole story?

If you owned it for some period of time and then the city foreclosed and took it, the violations might be from the time you owned it.

Are you sure its really been transferred to the city?  Just because they have the right to foreclose doesn't mean they actually did.   Are you sure you don't still own it?  Was the transfer recorded?

Hi Attorney Foley,

I appreciate your information. The blight notice is from the City. Unfortunately, I was not able to hold onto the property, so the City of Detroit had already foreclosed on it a year ago. The violation is about "Improper placement of Courvette container between collections." I was trying to figure out if there is a way to resolve without having to appear at the hearing.

Thank you,

Betty

Hi Jon Holdman,

The violation occurred a couple weeks ago and the city foreclosed a year ago. I looked at their website and it shows that I am the Grantor and they are the Grantee. Not sure regarding whether transfer was recorded.

Thanks,

Betty

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here