Chicago 2 flat - Zoning Violation

3 Replies

Hello BPers!  Can anyone please recommend a Building and Zoning Attorney??

I closed on a 2 flat in Chicago last month. This used to be a single family home and the previous owner converted it into a two-flat. As the story goes, I received a letter from Cook County (A.k.a CrooK County) saying there is a violation against the property. 

Violation date: Nov. 12th, 2014 - Violation code: B5.3-1A - Violation description - The owner is doing interior remodel, making a single family residence into a multi-family unit.

Here's the kicker - this was an REO FANNIE MAE owned property. I purchased through FHA financing, and I used the rental income of the 2nd unit in order to qualify. The home was listed as a multi-unit apartment building, and the zoning does allow such units here. I am due in COURT in June for this violation... ANY help is much appreciated!! THANK YOU!

Originally posted by @Brie Schmidt :

@Marvin Anaya sounds weird... what does the zoning cert say?  

Try Tom - I also have an expeditor if you need one

Tom

Anderson & Moore

111 W Washington

Suite 1720

Chicago, IL 60602

(312) 251-1500

(312) 251-1509 (Fax)

Hi Brie, thank you for the attorney referral. I don't see a zoning certificate in my closing documents. The Cook County Assesor's website shows it as class 2-11 since 2008, and it shows it as zone R5 / RM5. 

What I think happened was that in November of last year, Fannie Mae was doing some interior work (new carpets, paint, etc) but never got a permit to do so, and maybe the zoning inspector thought it was being converted ?? 

@Marvin Anaya - Call your attorney and get the zoning cert.  That is the only document that matters.  PM me the address too

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.