• Upstate, NY
Votes |
Opening Self Directed Retirement Account

Robert B.
  • Investor
  • Upstate, NY
Posted Aug 18 2015, 20:05

Welcome Everyone,

I'm a new BP member and a novice Real Estate investor. I'm determined to move my IRA funds from traditional to self directed accounts. I was hoping fellow members of this forum would be able to help me with that and share their knowledge and expertise on this subject.

Currently I'm full time employed, but I also own two (really) small businesses - one in a single member LLC that buys properties and collects rent from residential tenants, the other is a sole proprietorship technology company with just a handful of long term clients. The LLC generates more substantial income, and I was wondering if I could use it to sponsor a Solo 401k...? Can I have two such plans (one for the LLC, and one for the Sole Proprietorship)...? Does it matter that I also have a traditional 401k sponsored by my current employer...?

I have couple of old IRAs (Traditional Rollover and Roth). Assuming I can open a Solo 401k, would I be able to roll them into it...?

My wife is a real estate broker, but also owns a property management single member LLC, with just one customer...;-). I would assume that LLC would be suitable to sponsor her Solo 401k, right?

Again, assuming we can open one or multiple Solo 401k plans, would they be able to invest in the already existing LLC I own as a single member...? I'd like to use that funding to finance flips and possibly other real estate related activities (notes, mortgages, etc...).

What are the main aspects of choosing Solo 401k custodian...? Would you recommend any...?

Many thanks in advance for your time and advice!

Loading replies...