New Book!!! Tax Strategies for the Savvy Real Estate Investor

77 Replies

Great book. Very easy read. Practical advice for every day Joe investor and full time investors. Know your tax’s and how to invest how the government creates incentives and it’s full deductions.

I have read the book and really enjoyed it! I found the stories they included especially helpful. They were real-world examples anyone can relate to. 

Btw, I met Matt MacFarland today at a local conference in Orange County, CA.  Hope to meet Amanda next. :)

I thought the book was great.  Lots of examples of how to get all the deductions you deserve.  I do have to say that I was disappointed that when I called to try to talk to someone in the office to set up a consultation, I was forced to leave a voice message.  I never got a return phone call.  I guess that is what to expect during tax season.

@An Duong ,

Yes, Solo 401k plan has a loan feature allowing you to borrow from it up to $50,000 or half the balance, whichever is less.

But my question to you is why would you want to do it? The ultimate goal should be to invest in a tax deferred or tax free environment and grow your wealth that way as quickly and as much as you can. Taking a loan would hinder this. Yes, there are legitimate reasons to take the loan if you really need the cash, but you don't want to abuse this, you will hurt yourself if you do that. 

@Dmitriy Fomichenko I do flips/rehabs.  If I can defer my taxes on my flip profits and reuse a portion of those profits invested in the solo 401k at a low rate (hard money loans can be 3 points and 9% or more) to put in more deals it would help me grow my money in a tax free/deferred manner as much as possible.

@An Duong ,

I understand that, but you are missing my point. When you take a loan from your 401k you are depleting funds available to invest in tax-deferred environment. The money that you are borrowing and investing will result in your gains be taxed, then you will pay the loan back with after tax dollars. Your bottom line will be so much better if you focus on growing your 401k, when all gains and profits are sheltered from taxes. You just need to run the numbers and you will clearly see that. Using tax-deferred vehicle to invest alongside with your personal investments can be very powerful. You probably can google and find some studies on this, I think Mad Fientist did extensive study on this.

What a fantastic book. I just finished it and I can honestly say that it was eye opening! I don't consider myself to be all knowledgeable on taxes and this really gave me some pointers on where to start. This book covers a little bit of everything from deductions, depreciation, and IRAs. The part I really enjoyed was how to spin lots of everyday tasks into write offs for your business. While it's certainly not all encompassing, it does provide a great place to begin discussions with your tax advisor. Highly recommend to new and experienced investors.

I assume that the concepts in the book have not changed much.   Still, are there any major changes in the law or new ideas that developed since its publication 3 years ago?

UPDATE - I guess this answers my question.   I noticed on the BP order page at the bottom "Bonus Chapter AND Video: Keeping Up with the Latest in Tax Code Changes"

Learn the ins-and-outs of the new changes in the 2018 Tax Code! As investors, it's important to stay on top of these updates and changes so you can maximize your profits each year. Don't miss out on these important updates!

This post has been removed.

@Mindy Jensen

My husband n I own our current home outright. We have another home as a rental with a positive cash flow of $425 monthly and 57k owed on a 240k home. We are looking to buy and reside in a more retirement friendly house and rent our current one. How can I set up the financing so the interest is tax deductible as a business expense on our current residence that I will be renting. Mortgage on the new home will not be greater than the standard deduction. Retirement is 7 yrs away. Thanks for your advice!

@Cheryl Crabtree

You may be able to do a cash-out refinance or HELOC on your current primary residence and use the proceeds to acquire a rental property. The interest would then be classified as a business expense.

However, you may want to consider selling the primary residence outright to take advantage of section 121 and then just use the proceeds to buy a rental property(financed).

Happy retirement!

Amanda did a super job on this book. 

I would highly recommend this as an entree into the world of real estate taxation. I really hope she publishes an updated version to include the implications of the tax reform. 

Originally posted by @Daniel Hyman :

Amanda did a super job on this book. 

I would highly recommend this as an entree into the world of real estate taxation. I really hope she publishes an updated version to include the implications of the tax reform. 

I agreed with you on that Daniel. There were so many significant changes with regards to real estate in the 2017 TCJA, a book about real estate taxation, must include that.

This post has been removed.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here