Skip to content
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
John Humphries
  • Investor
  • Courtenay, British Columbia
Votes |
$30,000 in a Roth IRA wanting to invest in RE. What would you do?

John Humphries
  • Investor
  • Courtenay, British Columbia
Posted Jan 11 2017, 16:42

Hi BP SDIRA experts. I'm looking for some advice and opinions. Here's the scenario:

$30,000 in a Roth IRA - I'm tired of investing in the stock market and excited about real estate investing. I'd love to use this money to get started with some buy and hold rentals, but how?

1. As I am 40 years old and would be using the $ to buy investment properties, if I cash out of my Roth, I will take a 10% penalty. Not the end of the world as it would allow me more flexibility with my funds for investing.

2. I could roll my Roth into a SDIRA but with only $30,000 in the account, I would not be able to buy any properties (that I would want, at least) with cash. In researching buying rentals with SDIRA money, financing is complicated, as I would need to get a non-recourse loan and probably a partner in order to have enough capital to buy something. Also need to make sure there are reserves in cash in the SDIRA to account for expenses. I also learned quite a bit today about expenses involved with custodians.

As an aside here, I've been living in Canada for the last 10 years with no US income so I am no longer able to contribute to my Roth in it's current state.

Loading replies...