Kevin Lee
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
Title company missed an open work permit, now what? NYC Area

Kevin Lee
  • Brooklyn, NY
Posted Feb 16 2017, 08:40

Hey folks, need some advice here.

I bought a house with an open work permit that the title company didn't pick up on. 

I recently purchased a home and I didn't know there was an open work permit to install a gas line to the 2nd floor. The gas line is installed however there is no utility meter. Upon calling the gas company to install a meter they told me the gas line was never inspected. We got the DOB (Department of Buildings) to come out and they wouldn't approve the line.

The reason they wouldn't approve it is because the line is in a room that was converted to a bedroom by the old owner and there isn't currently a kitchen there. The old owner just has a stand alone sink and a stove that is attached to the gas line in a room. The inspector said the gas line was for a kitchen however the room did not represent a kitchen since there was no overhead exhaust and no counter tops to represent a kitchen, just a stove and a sink. 

Is the title company suppose to have picked up on the fact that there was an open permit for this gas line? This would've been something I could have negotiated with the sellers before closing and is now causing me a headache.

Thanks in advance for any advice!