• Portland, OR
Votes |
1099 employee tax advise

Marshall Martinez
  • Lender
  • Portland, OR
Posted Mar 9 2017, 13:34

Hello BP members!

I am currently a loan officer and in the transition of working as a W2 employee to now being a 1099 employee. I am also working on my real estate license and plan on having it completed by the end of the year. I already have a brokerage that I will hang my license under. 

From my understanding, a 1099 employee is considered a "contractor" and are able to itemize deductions when it comes to taxes. My question that I have for any tax professionals or any other 1099 employees is what are some of the main business expenses I am able to deduct? Phone, car, mileage, computer, health insurance etc.? This is one link that I did find helpful. 

I also need to know when I am able to start deducting these expenses? Am I able to right away, or once I start earning income as a 1099 employee? Will all business expenses from the beginning of the year qualify for a tax deduction or only from the time I started as a 1099 employee? 

I also remember being asked if I was a RE professional last year when I did my taxes. What qualifies you as being a RE professional? 

All feedback is appreciated! 

Thank you in advance!

Marshall 

Loading replies...