1099 employee tax advise

2 Replies

Hello BP members!

I am currently a loan officer and in the transition of working as a W2 employee to now being a 1099 employee. I am also working on my real estate license and plan on having it completed by the end of the year. I already have a brokerage that I will hang my license under. 

From my understanding, a 1099 employee is considered a "contractor" and are able to itemize deductions when it comes to taxes. My question that I have for any tax professionals or any other 1099 employees is what are some of the main business expenses I am able to deduct? Phone, car, mileage, computer, health insurance etc.? This is one link that I did find helpful. 

I also need to know when I am able to start deducting these expenses? Am I able to right away, or once I start earning income as a 1099 employee? Will all business expenses from the beginning of the year qualify for a tax deduction or only from the time I started as a 1099 employee? 

I also remember being asked if I was a RE professional last year when I did my taxes. What qualifies you as being a RE professional? 

All feedback is appreciated! 

Thank you in advance!


The link you have is a very good starting point.

I'm not a tax professional but I can make a few comments. 

Receiving a 1099 for real estate services would probably qualify you as a RE professional. 

I don't remember the numbers but it is something like you have to show a profit in two of your first five years or the IRS may disallow deductions. You don't have to show a profit before establishing that you are a RE professional but having no gross income doesn't seem likely to succeed. 

If you have employer sponsored insurance you probably can't get a deduction for additional individual insurance. Self employed (contractors) can almost always deduct their health insurance costs.

It would probably be worth your while to talk with a tax professional to get set up with the appropriate record keeping guidelines and knowledge about the best way to deduct expenses.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here