Votes
Rob Hunt
  • Oswego, IL
Votes |
Contractor vanished; can I move on?

Rob Hunt
  • Oswego, IL
Posted Apr 22 2017, 11:50
November 6th, I entered into a verbal agreement with a contractor to trade an old SUV for some work in my basement. I'm the homeowner. The work was laying linoleum, installing doors and trim, framing a bathroom, then firing out and insulating the dining room and living room areas of a mother-in-law suite. Two of his guys showed up a few times between Thanksgiving and Christmas, did mediocre work, then I never saw them again. They maybe got half the work done. I've emailed, called, and texted. No answer. Tried to stop by his shop. Another business name is on the door. One of the workers stopped by in March and picked up the tools they left behind and said the owner said he was still going to finish, but no word. I've not paid him a dime and still have the SUV title in my name but I want to sell it or for him to finish. Sick of paying insurance and registration on it. What are my options? 1) Send a certified letter to the address 2) Take out a legal notice in the newspaper 3) Just move on and assume he doesn't care. Doubt he'd sue me over $500-800 worth of work. 4) Other ideas? Thank you!