What do you use for taxes?

1 Reply

Good morning everyone!

This is my first year being self employed and I would love to know what/who you use for taxes. I typically use Turbo Tax for my w-2 employment.

Now that I am no longer a W-2 employee I am open to any and all suggestions. Do you use a different software? Or would it be best to use someone who professionally does taxes? I currently use an app called "Shoeboxed" to keep track of all my receipts and mileage.

Any help would be awesome! Thank you in advance!

@Justin Dossey

Most tax software providers geared to the taxpayer offer multiple tax software options. The basic software is usually geared towards the simple return.  The deluxe software package is geared to the return with a little more complexity(rental property or self employment income). 

Ultimately, the software will guide you through how to prepare the return but it won't do the return for you. So there is room for error.

I think it ultimately depends on how long you think it will take you to file your tax return and the level of assurance that you prepared everything correctly.

Now that you are self-employed - please be aware that you may be required to pay estimated taxes. Estimated taxes are normally paid in April 15, June 15, Sept 15, Jan 15(or dec 15 for some states).

The IRS/States like to receive their share of your hard work over time instead of all at once!

Let me know if you have any specific tax questions.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.