Ethics question about a sale

4 Replies

There is a property for sale I think I want because I know the property well. I know the capex and the income. It went on the market with a local realtor. The owner is a friend of mine. 

How ethical would it be for me to talk to him directly about owner finance? I'm not talking about going around the realtor in their part of the money. I would even be willing to pay that money myself directly to them if I could get it at the right price. Never been in this situation so didn't want to step on anyone's toes. 

@Mike Reynolds

Being honest and transparent is always good.  Let the realtor an/or owner know exactly what you said in your post and all is fine.   The owner and realtor probably have a contract that states the realtor gets paid regardless of where the buyer comes from anyway. That includes owner financing, bank loan or cash. Good Luck.

As mentioned before the listing agreement between seller and realtor will ensure the realtor gets paid.  I think that whether or not discussing terms directly with the owner depends on how well you know them, if they are a close friend then go ahead, but if all you know about them is their name and where they live it might be better to deal with the realtor.  Either way it shouldn't make too much of a difference in final outcome.

Originally posted by @Carl Fischer :

@Mike Reynolds

Being honest and transparent is always good.  Let the realtor an/or owner know exactly what you said in your post and all is fine.   The owner and realtor probably have a contract that states the realtor gets paid regardless of where the buyer comes from anyway. That includes owner financing, bank loan or cash. Good Luck.

Thanks. I need to offer 30k less than asking. That way I can cover the fees and fix some things I know are wrong with the property. The owner finance will save him  much  more than that in the tax hit this year. 

Originally posted by @Aaron Klatt :

As mentioned before the listing agreement between seller and realtor will ensure the realtor gets paid.  I think that whether or not discussing terms directly with the owner depends on how well you know them, if they are a close friend then go ahead, but if all you know about them is their name and where they live it might be better to deal with the realtor.  Either way it shouldn't make too much of a difference in final outcome.

That's what I thought. We are actual friends and have been for years. I have worked on his place before. That's how I know it so well. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.