What would be the impact of incorporating on my rentals?

3 Replies

Hi, new to the forum here and I am looking into incorporating my rentals under a single entity and I am wondering how this would affect passive losses that have accrued over time?  Anyone with personal experience or referrals to a professional would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mike

Originally posted by @Michael Nugent :

Hi, new to the forum here and I am looking into incorporating my rentals under a single entity and I am wondering how this would affect passive losses that have accrued over time?  Anyone with personal experience or referrals to a professional would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Mike

You would make Uncle Sam very happy with your much higher taxes. Talk to a CPA to see what is best for your situation. 

@Michael Nugent

If you're truly thinking about a corporation - then @Mike M. 's sarcasm was mostly justified.

However, I suspect that by "incorporating" you actually meant putting your properties inside an LLC. LLC is NOT the same as corporation. Putting property into an LLC creates no tax consequences - good or bad. It's done for legal protection purposes but not for taxes. In other words, no harm.

@Michael Nugent

If you put the properties into a LLC(Single member) you will retain the suspended passive activity losses that you accumulated over the years.

Basit Siddiqi, CPA

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.