Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Z.
Votes |
Me vs. the city : how to recoup funds

Melanie Z.
Posted Mar 18 2019, 06:21

I need some help / advice. Back in January my home was given a notice of violation by license and inspection for a crack in the side wall of my home . I was told by L&I to retain a contractor and engineer to get the problem fixed. MY contractor concluded that the wall in question was not my wall , L&I came out on a Friday evening and without warning , a knock , or any type of formal notification beside a business card slipped in the door- when I called the inspector and told him my engineers findings I was told “it’s your wall now- time has passed we are going to court on Monday to demolish your home” and was given a number of a shelter. - I went to city hall to speak with someone that Monday , the litigator actually spoke with me , saw our pictures and letters from our engineers and STOPPED the hearing for the demolition sent out surveyors and concluded that it was not our responsibility to fix the wall. Yay!

Ok ... now to good stuff ...

My MAIN question is ... can I recoup my money from being FORCED to retain a contractor and engineers or risk losing my home only to discover the issue turned out to be not mine at all but in fact the city’s issue and negligence. I lost 2 and a half weeks of work going back and forth to city hall to appeal and get information about what to do, (to be honest it was a waste because they only person that helped was the litigator), I had to take time off for those reasons as well as to meet and let the contractors and engineers inside. I’ve had to write hardship letters to my mortgage company and other debtors because I have had to use ALL of my money and borrow some to retain the contractor.

Now that they have started to remove the wall that was left behind by a previous demolition , it was discovered that my new build home was NOT built with a party wall- literally now that they have removed that wall - you can see the outside thru the shower wall ... the people working on this project started on Saturday ... my home was left covered in tarp thru out Sunday ... it’s Monday - no signs of any contractors outside ... and it’s COLD In here! I’m seeing weird bugs , yesterday a mouse crawled from under my stove and thru the kitchen... I’m worried about termites and how my home will be affected by this exposure.

Above all else - L&I has pretty much erased all evidence of the mix up from their online database and in turn ... the only proof I have of this ordeal are the 2 certified letters notifying me of the violations and past due bills

1.) can I recoup my money?

2.) should I speak with the people who insured the title of my home ?

3.) what should I do if I have damage from my home being left exposed like this ?

Please help - I’m at my wits end !!!

Loading replies...