I made a llc before opening up a holding company.

3 Replies

Originally posted by @George Makris :

I want to make a holding company as a parent company to separate my investment taxes from my personal. But I bought a property and made a llc before opening a holding company.

You can always get the holding company and have it own your existing LLC that holds the rental.

Make sure talk your needs with your attorney or CPA to see if you need the holding company or even LLC.

@George Makris

"I want to make a holding company as a parent company to separate my investment taxes from my personal."

The only way to do this would be to make your holding company a C Corp.  Not generally advisable with rental real estate.

A series of single-member LLCs that have not made a corporate tax entity election are disregarded for income tax purposes -- you'll report the activities directly on your 1040 as if the LLCs don't exist.

@George Makris

Personally, I think you are going overboard with the whole LLC and holding company route.

The second thing is you likely want to have the holding company created first and then create the subsequent LLC's.

Right now, who is the member of the LLC. Most likely you, right?
If you want it done the way you want it, you would need to list the holding company as the member of the LLC.