Suing for Specific Performance/House is now in pre-foreclosure

1 Reply

In 2015 we signed a Sales Installment Contract for $435,000 on a home in SC, paid $18,000 down & $3200/month payment. This past April the owner notified us he had gotten a divorce & needed to unload the property. We hired an attorney & renegotiated a sale price of $317,500, we actually only owed $280k & some change. So we go forward getting our financing in order & approval. Days from closing we find out the owner has fired his attorney & stopped responding to emails, calls & texts.

We hired another attorney to handle litigation & a Lis Pendens was filed with plans to file suit this week. Today I google the property address, thinking he had put it on the market, and I see it listed as a pre-foreclosure on Zillow for $26,000 less than our contract!

My question is do we have a leg to stand on legally? Of course I’ve emailed our attorney with this finding but I’m in panic mode!

Zillow has a lot of inaccurate, outdated and “estimated” I formation.

You are experiencing of the risk with installment sales/land con contracts.

First, it is relatively easy to find out if the property is actually in a foreclosure process on your local county websites. There, I’m guessing the process is nonjudicial and there would be a Notice Of Sale recorded.

Something seems off, since getting a divorce wouldn’t cause a need to drop the price $120k.

Did you guys ever verify how much of a mortgage he had on this property?

Yes, you have a contract but that won’t stop his lender from foreclosing on him and chances of collecting any money from him afterward will be slim.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here