Skip to content
Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation

User Stats

Votes
Michael Doherty
  • Real Estate Agent
  • West Hartford, Ct
Votes |
Should I Keep my series 7&66 License for REI?

Michael Doherty
  • Real Estate Agent
  • West Hartford, Ct
Posted Oct 21 2019, 11:40

I am at a fork in my life where I am thinking about making the transition from my secure W2 job to REI Full Time. I recently got my real estate license and have a brokerage lined up for when I am ready (specializing in MFH and Commercial).

I am currently a financial consultant at an Asset Management firm with my 7 and 66 licenses (securities licenses). I worked hard to obtain these credentials and would prefer to keep them if I make the jump to REI full time. Unfortunately, your licenses will expire after 2 years if you aren't represented by a Broker/Dealer or IRA.

I would think that if I ever went down the road of raising private capital or joining a team that does syndication's ect... it would be an asset to have someone with these licenses? 

Is there anyone who is currently 7 and 66 licensed doing REI full time that can offer advice on the best way to proceed? My original thought is reach out to as many smaller IRA firms, mom and pop shops if you will- that will hold my license in exchange for investor referrals and giving them my own finances to manage. From a compliance standpoint, I am not sure how it works to sponsor someone and NOT have them be a producing representative.

Appreciate any advice! 

• Real Estate Agent Connecticut (#0814339)

Doherty Home Team at Keller Williams Logo

Loading replies...