CPA / tax accountant for real estate investors

11 Replies

I'm a multifamily investor and real estate broker in Chicago, looking for CPA's who have experience working with investment property portfolios. Please reach out if you have someone you would recommend.

Michael, 

Most tax accountants are busy this time of year. 

I recommend finding an accountant that specializes in real estate taxation over one that is local. You may want to consider working with your accountant remotely to expand your options.

I would also recommend looking for a tax strategist who is willing to work with you throughout the year, not just when preparing your tax return. You want an accountant that can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the tax consequences of the decisions you are making throughout the year.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of assistance.

@Michael K.

As mentioned, we have 20+ real estate accountants on this forum who do exactly what you're looking for. Browse the forum, find some whose knowledge and personality you like and reach out privately. Warning: we are all pretty busy at this time of the year.

If you're looking locally in Chicagoland, reach out to @Steven Hamilton II . Otherwise, we all work nationwide.

Thanks for the shout out, @Dmitriy Fomichenko .

@Michael K. - I've worked with @Steven Hamilton II  for the last 3 years.  Steven and his team are great to work with and extremely knowledgeable in the real estate space.  I highly recommend them.

I totally agree with @Bill Hampton now is probably one of the toughest times to be looking to connect with a CPA.  They are completely slammed and COVID has only made things worse.

I'm happy to share any information about cost segregation studies/answer questions you or those on this thread may have. Feel free to post your questions here!! 

@Michael K.

I have several CPAs and tax attorneys that specialize in commercial real estate that I can highly recommend. They have been working with me for years on reducing their clients' tax liabilities by leveraging the current and ever-changing IRS requirements and regulations. They are VERY knowledgeable about RE. Contact me and I will direct you to the appropriate professional.