Harrison County (MS) Probates

3 Replies

Hi. Anyone out there who has a basic understanding of probate in Harrison county, Mississippi? I'm here in New Jersey and dealing with a property where the owner died in Harrison County Mississippi. However his house is here in New Jersey. I assumed, like here in new jersey, the heirs would be able to probate the estate on their own. However I'm being told by the probate office there that Mississippi has a law, due to it being a "form state", that prohibits heirs from probating an estate without a family law attorney? Is that the case? Is there a way around it? Maybe an attorney Who does these for cheap? Thank you in advance.

Hey @Ibrahim Hughes .  From the best of my understanding, you're going to need an attorney in Harrison County. Do you know what city? I'm working through a probate now (three years strong) with a family in Harrison County.  I can send you the name of the attorney I'm using but haven't found many that are eager to do probates.

Originally posted by @Pat Heidingsfelder :

Hey @Ibrahim Hughes.  From the best of my understanding, you're going to need an attorney in Harrison County. Do you know what city? I'm working through a probate now (three years strong) with a family in Harrison County.  I can send you the name of the attorney I'm using but haven't found many that are eager to do probates.

Hi and thanks for the reply Pat. To be clear the house is here in New jersey. East Orange to be exact. And yes I would appreciate that attorney's info. Thanks so much.

Originally posted by @Pat Heidingsfelder :

Hey @Ibrahim Hughes.  From the best of my understanding, you're going to need an attorney in Harrison County. Do you know what city? I'm working through a probate now (three years strong) with a family in Harrison County.  I can send you the name of the attorney I'm using but haven't found many that are eager to do probates.

And why so long for probate? Does it typucally take that long there to get a probate done there? Here it can take as little as 2 weeks if someone does it without an attorney.