• Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Mortgage Lenders Advice Needed! Primary Residence loan

Adam Craig
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Posted Oct 6 2020, 12:09

I am going through a terrible closing experience on a new primary residence and want to see what I can do to improve my tax structure to eliminate this issue. A quick run down on my financials and see if any mortgage guys or investors with primary residence financing can chime in.

I have a 6 figure income from my internet business that I have been owner/operator for the past 9 years. I also have 32 single family rentals and an office building that produce 10-15k/month cash flow (before vacancy/repairs). Because I use the BRRRR investment strategy, I have accumulated big expenses, both capitalized and non. On my taxes I am able to bring losses from the real estate business over to my internet business because we have the "real estate professional" designation - prior to that designation, a lot of those "losses" we suspended until I sold the home. This has been great for tax savings but a nightmare trying to get financed for a new primary residence.

We are trying to get a 450K loan for a house we have under contract and having a hard time. In reality, we have 20-30k coming in each month. But we pay very little in tax advantages from the real estate and our AGI is low. Most lenders wont return phone calls after they discover I have 30+ rentals.

There has to be guys out there with dozens of rentals getting convention financing on a new home. What is the best solution? One lender said if the rentals were on their own return and not listed on the schedule E of my personal taxes it might be different. But my CPA says the numbers would be the same which is why we file everything on one return.

I have a 7 figure net worth and 200K+ cash reserves so its just disappointing because we cannot find a lender.

Looking for

Loading replies...