Scott:

Let's talk a little about your background and how you got into being a capital gains tax solution expert?

Brett:

Most commercial real estate owners, business owners, high-end primary homeowners, they struggle with capital gains tax. My story goes all the way back to 2006. Helping those types of owners and in particular, it was investment, real estate owners buying-sell investment properties, via 1031 exchanges, mostly. So I sort of learned the sticks and bricks, and the financing side of it between 2006 and 2011. And during that time period, it was one of the biggest events in the financial market history 2008 crash, and we were looking to figure out ways to help our clients never have to face the pain of losing all or some of their equity through that crash. And a lot of it was because of the 1031 exchange, to be honest, we were brokers who were helping people do that. And that's how we get paid. But we found that it doesn't fit every situation, and people were overpaying. And that's kind of how they got hurt when they sold ‘05, ‘06, ‘07, and ‘08. And so bigger properties with equal or greater debt, and oftentimes overpaid. And so ‘08 hit, ‘09 hit, people started losing property, especially here in Sacramento, California, where I'm from. So we kind of set out on a mission to see what will we do differently if this happened again? And what can we change? And at that time, my manager at the time brought in a gentleman to speak on this deferred sales trust. And like most of your listeners, right now, you're going to say what is that? I'd never heard of it. I've heard of a Delaware statutory trust, I know about a 1031. But what is a deferred sales trust? And they started to tell us that you never have to do a 1031 ever again. In fact, you can do away with the 1031. If you want to, you can use this to defer taxes. It's kind of like 1031 for a business sale or a high-end primary home sale.

Essentially it's an installment sale that allows you to defer tax and you can get out of debt. You can actually invest into notes. You can invest in stocks, bonds, mutual funds, different real estate syndications, there's just so much more flexibility versus the 1031. So that really started me down this journey of how to add value to clients. At the time I was just married, we just had a baby, making next to nothing in real estate because the market had crashed but be I was this kind of new to it, I didn't really have a lot of value to add to it clients. So just trying to make a deal work trying to add value trying to be creative and look for solutions into the deferred sales trust. It changed the way I approached every deal and I started to win more deals, win more listings, add more value, and really connect with more people because indeed, it can solve certain challenges that just the 1031 really can't do.

Learn more about Deferred Sales Trust
Visit: www.capitalgainstaxsolutions.com