• Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Looking for new CPA and bookkeeper

Jason Waldo
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Posted Jan 8 2023, 19:09

I am looking in the Kansas city area for a new CPA and bookkeeper.

here is what I'm looking for. I own two business both in the Real estate field. One for buy and hold real estate and the other is a property maintenance company.

I need someone to reconcile my transaction on a monthly basis for my companies and also be able to do my tax returns.

I want someone to have a heart of a teacher and that is truly willing to have conversation about the tax code when i have questions. 

If you can help or know someone who can help please reach out!!

thanks,

jason

User Stats

Votes
Linda Weygant#3 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Investor and CPA
  • Arvada, CO
Votes |
Linda Weygant#3 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Investor and CPA
  • Arvada, CO
Replied Jan 9 2023, 03:09

Hi Jason,

It looks like you're looking for a specific set of skills focused on the areas that are important to you.  Often times, it is better to engage in services with somebody who is prepared to help you virtually, rather than focusing on your specific geographic area.

You may want to consider looking for a real estate focused CPA/bookkeeper (this can often be found in the same office) who really understands your focus, rather than making geography the preliminary factor.

User Stats

Votes
Simon W.
  • Accountant
  • Lehigh Valley PA & New York City
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Lehigh Valley PA & New York City
Replied Jan 9 2023, 07:00

I agree with you Linda. 

@Jason Waldo - having multiple people review the financials can be beneficial. It's always good to have multiple checks and balances in place to ensure accuracy and catch any mistakes. Having a bookkeeper and a CPA review the financials can provide a more thorough analysis and can help prevent mistakes from slipping through the cracks. It's also a good idea to have different people or companies handle the bookkeeping and CPA duties to ensure independence and objectivity. 

I wanted to share with you a situation I encountered with a previous client where both a bookkeeper and a CPA were utilized, but mistakes were still missed. Unfortunately, this led to my client being audited by the IRS. While it's always a good idea to have multiple people review the financials to catch mistakes, it's important to keep in mind that even with multiple reviews, mistakes can still occur.

I was able to spot the red flags within 10 minutes of reviewing the books and quickly told my client that one of the reasons he was being audited.

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Street
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Jan 9 2023, 07:41

Bob Coleman should be able to help you out! Coleman Accounting Services

913-787-0308

www.ColemanAcctg.com

User Stats

Votes
Virginia Franzese
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jan 9 2023, 09:31

I love my CPA. His name is Mark Ball- highly recommend. 913.687.1495

User Stats

Votes
Milton Chamberlain
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Jan 11 2023, 09:12

Sup! My father is a CPA. works out of his home office in Raytown. He would be more than happy to sit and talk with you to see if he could help. He loves talking tax code. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you his contact info

User Stats

Votes
Max Emory
  • Accountant
  • 100% Remote
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • 100% Remote
Replied Jan 16 2023, 08:55

Hey @Jason Waldo, I 100% agree with @Linda Weygant. Being expertise-focused rather than location-focused will land you some much better options. So, CPAs and Bookkeepers who operate within the REI industry and/or who have an existing client-base of majority REIs.

Just ensure who you are interviewing is familiar and capable of operating with your state's specific laws/regulations.