Classifieds

User Stats

Votes
Sergio Ceja
Votes |
Looking for a 203k contractor or contractor newbie here

Sergio Ceja
Posted Jan 12 2023, 09:25

Hello everyone new to all of this and I am trying to get an idea of where to start. I am in search of a 203k contractor or any contractor that can assist me. My father-in-law is selling us his house for what he owes which is 64k we want to do an FHA 203k loan to renovate the house. The main floor upstairs I want to get it to remodel and fix the main bathroom and kitchen. Basement needs a new half bathroom with standing shower and fix some outside windows that are rotted. I was wondering if y'all got any contractors that you recommend. I am not looking to get all fancy with the remodel just plain mid-grade stuff. Basic stuff. Excuse my knowledge on this I did the best I can online but is too much. Just asking for some recommendations. I had one contractor look and he said he charges 17k per bathroom and 40k for kitchen I don't know if that's in par with today's prices. Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Welden
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tempe, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tempe, AZ
Replied Jan 13 2023, 10:58

@Sergio Ceja

I recommend using contractors who have the accreditation as a Certified 203k Contractor

You're only as strong as your weakest link .... select your partners wisely. 

You'll also need a HUD approved FHA 203k Consultant, who is selected by your mortgage lender. The 203k Consultant determines what is required to be completed, prepares the Work Write-Up and cost estimate, which is then used by the Certified 203k Contractor to prepare their rehab proposal/estimate. 

Also, check with your mortgage lender because buying a property from a family member where you will be using an FHA loan may required a 15% down payment instead of the traditional 3.5%.

Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Sergio Ceja
Votes |
Replied Jan 13 2023, 17:43
Quote from @Paul Welden:

@Sergio Ceja

I recommend using contractors who have the accreditation as a Certified 203k Contractor

You're only as strong as your weakest link .... select your partners wisely. 

You'll also need a HUD approved FHA 203k Consultant, who is selected by your mortgage lender. The 203k Consultant determines what is required to be completed, prepares the Work Write-Up and cost estimate, which is then used by the Certified 203k Contractor to prepare their rehab proposal/estimate. 

Also, check with your mortgage lender because buying a property from a family member where you will be using an FHA loan may required a 15% down payment instead of the traditional 3.5%.

Hope this helps!

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Sergio Ceja
Votes |
Replied Jan 13 2023, 17:43

Thank you so much for the assistance.