Skip to content
Classifieds

User Stats

Votes

Looking for leads on lesser known markets or sub markets for decent CF/appreciation

Anton Tikhomirov
Posted Jan 25 2023, 05:59

Hi All, this is my first post here, hoping it’s in line with the rules. 

Like a lot of people, I’m looking to buy my first property in the next 3 months or so. I want to focus on growth right now, so I am hoping to find properties that are in areas with good demographic trends. My goal is to have them cash flow positively, but am not hyper-focused on cash flow beyond that (I.e. I don’t need MASSIVE cash flow). The goal would be something that is a mix between cash flow and appreciation. 

I live in MA and don’t want to invest in Fall River/New Bedford so I’m looking out of state. I’ve looked at markets like Indy and Columbus (which seem very good) and then also at Kansas City, Cincinnati, and Jacksonville (though downscale FL particularly makes me nervous). The reason I am posting is to ask whether there are any particular smaller markets or sub markets I should be looking at as well? I’m particularly looking at the Midwest if anyone has any tips, but I’ve also heard there’s great stuff in the sunbelt around AZ in the Phoenix suburbs. Does anyone have any tips on where I should check out? 

Budget is about $200-250k after leverage (so about $50K down + transaction costs). Hoping not to do more than $20k of rehab. 

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Jan 25 2023, 07:09

Happy to chat on KC. I'd look 100-200K range around here and in the suburbs

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 25 2023, 07:43
Quote from @Anton Tikhomirov:

Like a lot of people, I’m looking to buy my first property in the next 3 months or so. I want to focus on growth right now, so I am hoping to find properties that are in areas with good demographic trends. My goal is to have them cash flow positively, but am not hyper-focused on cash flow beyond that (I.e. I don’t need MASSIVE cash flow). The goal would be something that is a mix between cash flow and appreciation. 

I live in MA and don’t want to invest in Fall River/New Bedford so I’m looking out of state. I’ve looked at markets like Indy and Columbus (which seem very good) and then also at Kansas City, Cincinnati, and Jacksonville (though downscale FL particularly makes me nervous). The reason I am posting is to ask whether there are any particular smaller markets or sub markets I should be looking at as well? I’m particularly looking at the Midwest if anyone has any tips, but I’ve also heard there’s great stuff in the sunbelt around AZ in the Phoenix suburbs. Does anyone have any tips on where I should check out? 

Budget is about $200-250k after leverage (so about $50K down + transaction costs). Hoping not to do more than $20k of rehab. 

Thanks!

There are a lot of smaller towns outside of Columbus, Ohio you should check out. Newark, Delaware, Marysville, Lancaster, and Chillicothe just to name a few

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo
NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Anton Tikhomirov
Replied Jan 25 2023, 07:48
Quote from @Remington Lyman:

Thanks!

There are a lot of smaller towns outside of Columbus, Ohio you should check out. Newark, Delaware, Marysville, Lancaster, and Chillicothe just to name a few

Thank you, this is exactly what I’m looking for. I’m very interested in cbus because it looks to be very up and coming with the new plant coming in and OSU feeding a constant stream of new grads to the area, but im worried im a bit late to the game to get in on the decent neighborhoods in the city proper. Im hoping for kind of the B+ to C+ range since im out of state. 

User Stats

Votes
Harrison Chow
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 25 2023, 07:53

Thanks!

Hi Anton! In recent years, Columbus, Ohio has experienced steady growth in both population and economic development, which has led to an increase in real estate values and rental demand. This provided huge potential for both cash flow and appreciation in the Columbus real estate market.

As per Zillow, the median price of homes currently listed in Columbus is $225k while the median price of homes that sold is $160k - which fits your budget.

Let me know how I can help!

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 25 2023, 08:28

Thanks!

Thank you, this is exactly what I’m looking for. I’m very interested in cbus because it looks to be very up and coming with the new plant coming in and OSU feeding a constant stream of new grads to the area, but im worried im a bit late to the game to get in on the decent neighborhoods in the city proper. Im hoping for kind of the B+ to C+ range since im out of state. 

I would not say you are too late to the game

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Scott Allen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 25 2023, 09:56

@Anton Tikhomirov

You have the right budget for a duplex in Columbus, OH. Newark and Lancaster are some sub markets that you should look into as well.

Reafco - Columbus, OH  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 25 2023, 11:37

Thanks!

It's nice that you've set your eyes on Columbus, your money will go very far. You'd be able to pick up a multifamily portfolio and start your cash flow. Not to mention Ohio is a landlord-friendly state.

User Stats

Votes
Emma Vallery
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus
Replied Jan 25 2023, 13:01

Hey Anton!

I think your head is in the right place looking to invest out of state! I am located in the Columbus area and the suburbs in this area are a great place to start investing, and the main reason why is affordability. Columbus is also a growing city with a few major companies moving to the area in the next few years bringing thousands of jobs, and with new jobs come people. Population growth is .75% year-over-year, employment growth is 3.58% year-over-year , and rents in Columbus have increased 6% year-over-year, making it a great market to have a buy and hold in. Having a budget around 200-250k can get you a great property in the suburbs with minimal rehab and great cash flow!

User Stats

Votes
Konstantin Podyachev
  • Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Jan 25 2023, 13:41

Hey @Anton Tikhomirov,

If you are looking into Jacksonville, FL market I would recommend to take a look at Middleburg, FL and Yulee, FL. They are two emerging markets in that area. 

Middleburg is a suburban community located in Clay County, just 25 miles southwest of Jacksonville. It has a population of around 15,000 people and is known for its small-town charm and strong sense of community. The area has seen steady growth in recent years, with new housing developments and commercial projects being built. This has led to an increase in demand for both residential and commercial properties, making it a great opportunity for investors.

Yulee, on the other hand, is located in Nassau County, just 15 miles north of Jacksonville. It is a rapidly growing community, with a population of around 13,000 people. The area has seen a significant influx of new residents in recent years, thanks in part to the opening of several new housing developments and the expansion of major employers such as FedEx and Amazon. As a result, the demand for both residential and commercial properties has increased, making it another great opportunity for investors.

Both Middleburg and Yulee offer a great potential for growth and a strong return on investment. Feel free to reach me out dirrectly if can felp with anything.

User Stats

Votes
Minna Reid
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville FL & Middletown CT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville FL & Middletown CT
Replied Jan 25 2023, 14:57
Quote from @Konstantin Podyachev:

Hey @Anton Tikhomirov,

If you are looking into Jacksonville, FL market I would recommend to take a look at Middleburg, FL and Yulee, FL. They are two emerging markets in that area. 

Middleburg is a suburban community located in Clay County, just 25 miles southwest of Jacksonville. It has a population of around 15,000 people and is known for its small-town charm and strong sense of community. The area has seen steady growth in recent years, with new housing developments and commercial projects being built. This has led to an increase in demand for both residential and commercial properties, making it a great opportunity for investors.

Yulee, on the other hand, is located in Nassau County, just 15 miles north of Jacksonville. It is a rapidly growing community, with a population of around 13,000 people. The area has seen a significant influx of new residents in recent years, thanks in part to the opening of several new housing developments and the expansion of major employers such as FedEx and Amazon. As a result, the demand for both residential and commercial properties has increased, making it another great opportunity for investors.

Both Middleburg and Yulee offer a great potential for growth and a strong return on investment. Feel free to reach me out dirrectly if can felp with anything.

I was just about to chime in with almost exactly this lol. West side and North side of Jax are the remaining growing markets in Jax. You can still find good values and the areas are still being developed.

User Stats

Votes
Sam McCormack
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Jan 26 2023, 06:12

@Anton Tikhomirov

Hi Anton, Cincinnati is primarily a cash flowing market but there is an area or 2 where it can cash flow, and it is nicer so the appreciation aspect is present!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 26 2023, 07:28

Thanks!

I was just at @Kurt Phillips’s meetup in Lancaster last week.  Good people, good scene, good smaller city that checks some good boxes of proximity to Columbus without being overwhelmed by urban bleedover.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Street
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Jan 26 2023, 09:52

@Anton Tikhomirov Congratulations on taking the first steps! Being prepared is honestly all you need to succeed in REI. Out here in KC, we have numerous deals that cashflow, and look at long term appreciation. We even get deals that just need cosmetic updates, meet the 1% rule, and are in a decent neighborhood looking at appreciation. We have several developments that will bring thousands of jobs, upgrades to our airport, new stadium, new resort on the way, and so many other things growing our city every day. You said you looked at the Midwest, have you looked at Kansas City?

User Stats

Votes
Ahmed Saad
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Jan 26 2023, 13:05

@Dustin Street

What areas of KC do you like for 4 plexes? How about for larger ie 8-20 units? I have been interested in KC for a while.

User Stats

Votes
Anton Tikhomirov
Replied Jan 27 2023, 06:52
Quote from @Dustin Street:

@Anton Tikhomirov Congratulations on taking the first steps! Being prepared is honestly all you need to succeed in REI. Out here in KC, we have numerous deals that cashflow, and look at long term appreciation. We even get deals that just need cosmetic updates, meet the 1% rule, and are in a decent neighborhood looking at appreciation. We have several developments that will bring thousands of jobs, upgrades to our airport, new stadium, new resort on the way, and so many other things growing our city every day. You said you looked at the Midwest, have you looked at Kansas City?

I have looked at KC but my analysis was that rents seem very low there compared to some of the more northern locales. Would love to be told I am wrong however. 

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Street
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Jan 27 2023, 09:56
Quote from @Ahmed Saad:

@Dustin Street

What areas of KC do you like for 4 plexes? How about for larger ie 8-20 units? I have been interested in KC for a while.

Anywhere the numbers make sense! 8-20 is harder to find but definitely doable! KC is an amazing spot to buy and hold right now

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Street
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Jan 27 2023, 10:00

I have looked at KC but my analysis was that rents seem very low there compared to some of the more northern locales. Would love to be told I am wrong however. 

Oh ya! We have low rent areas, but we also have places where rents are 3k+. I'd say average rent is around $1300-$1500 in middle class neighborhoods. I have a property right now, and the rental rates for similar properties in the area is $2200

User Stats

Votes
Elias Osborne
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 27 2023, 19:10

Thanks!

Hey Anton, I'm in the Columbus market as an investment RE agent. We get off market deals which saves the investor money and allows them to acquire the properties and begin work ASAP. If you are looking for cash flow and appreciation, Columbus is your market for sure with the large tech companies making the city their home and buying land to build their plants and factories. Let me know if you have any questions when it comes to the Columbus market.

User Stats

Votes
Anton Tikhomirov
Replied Jan 27 2023, 21:08

Oh ya! We have low rent areas, but we also have places where rents are 3k+. I'd say average rent is around $1300-$1500 in middle class neighborhoods. I have a property right now, and the rental rates for similar properties in the area is $2200

Thank you sir, would you be able to generally point me at some neighborhoods to take a look at? 

User Stats

Votes
Zeke Liston#4 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Zeke Liston#4 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 30 2023, 06:52

Thanks!

Hi Anton, welcome to BP! I've had a lot of luck here in the Columbus market. Your budget also aligns with the market, you could likely find a duplex in a C+/B- neighborhood within that price. 

User Stats

Votes
Christos Kalogeropoulos
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 30 2023, 14:22

Hey Anton,

Welcome to bigger pockets! In my opinion, Columbus, OH is the place to be right now. Moved here a while ago and as a person that used to live in Rhode Island and work in Massachusetts, I am pretty familiar with the areas you don't want to invest in MA. With your budget you can get a pretty good investment property to start your cash flow. There are many properties here that are pretty much turnkey or only need cosmetics so with the amount you want to spend for rehab you'll get a pretty nice ARV. Intel and Amazon already have bought big amounts of land for their next projects and downtown Columbus is turning into a Fashion Hub with Abercrombie, Victoria Secret and Express already in the market here. Population is rising and so does the investing real estate business here. It's a great market for a buy and hold deal so I would strongly suggest that you consider Columbus as an investment opportunity. If you need any other info please reach out and I'll be more than happy to help you.

User Stats

Votes
Sonia N.
Pro Member
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Boston, MA
Replied Feb 1 2023, 08:54

Hi Anton,

I'm also from MA and invest OOO in Columbus, OH and Huntsville, AL.  Between the 2, Huntsville is actually a better option IMO if you're interested in tertiary markets in any southern states.  Best of luck!

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 5% down loan options. Access the BEST deals in the US in one place. Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Anton Tikhomirov
Replied Feb 3 2023, 04:50
Quote from @Sonia N.:

Hi Anton,

I'm also from MA and invest OOO in Columbus, OH and Huntsville, AL.  Between the 2, Huntsville is actually a better option IMO if you're interested in tertiary markets in any southern states.  Best of luck!

Hi, thanks for the suggestion! May I ask why Huntsville? 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mignone
  • Investor
  • East Islip, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • East Islip, NY
Replied Feb 3 2023, 13:23
Quote from @Sonia N.:

Hi Anton,

Huntsville is an outstanding market. Booming economy and population growth. It overtook Birmingham as the largest city in the state much quicker than it was projected to do so. I've been investing there since 2021 and have been very happy with the trajectory of the market! Low taxes, landlord friendly laws, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Sonia N.
Pro Member
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Boston, MA
Replied Feb 4 2023, 04:09
Quote from @Chris Mignone:
Quote from @Sonia N.:

Hi Anton,

Huntsville is an outstanding market. Booming economy and population growth. It overtook Birmingham as the largest city in the state much quicker than it was projected to do so. I've been investing there since 2021 and have been very happy with the trajectory of the market! Low taxes, landlord friendly laws, etc.

I’m with Chris on this one. they have a booming economy both in the public and private sectors (tech, aerospace engineering,  defense and adv manufacturing), great price to rent ratios, population growth and a hot rental market along with low taxes in a landlord friendly state.  

@Anton Tikhomirovundefined