Classifieds

User Stats

Votes
Jason Coxwell
Votes |
Looking for a mentor

Jason Coxwell
Posted Jan 31 2023, 18:12

I currently travel for work and my work hours are 6am-6pm, 7 days a week running cranes. Having said that, I have a lot of downtime in the crane waiting for lifts and as such I can peruse the BP world as well as listen to podcasts and read books. Since I work 7 days a week, at least 7 months a year, its a a bit difficult to get out and about and network, not to mention looking at properties. Now, to the meat.....looking for ideas to get a mentor starting out. I have plenty of time (most days) to search the net but really no other way to network. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Feb 1 2023, 04:48

Welcome to the BiggerPockets forums!

Go to NETWORK at the top of your screen and you can search for other investors and investment groups in your area. You can also check meetup.com or search facebook for real estate investment groups, clubs, or meetings in your area.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Feb 1 2023, 08:33
Quote from @Jason Coxwell:

I currently travel for work and my work hours are 6am-6pm, 7 days a week running cranes. Having said that, I have a lot of downtime in the crane waiting for lifts and as such I can peruse the BP world as well as listen to podcasts and read books. Since I work 7 days a week, at least 7 months a year, its a a bit difficult to get out and about and network, not to mention looking at properties. Now, to the meat.....looking for ideas to get a mentor starting out. I have plenty of time (most days) to search the net but really no other way to network. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Jason, I think it is important to try to find a mentor who is doing what you want to do. I like to try to set up every month a meeting with someone I think I can learn from or who could be a potential mentor. Try to attend your local REI networking groups and meetups. Connect with as many real estate investors as you can.
You can also consult with lenders, brokers and ask them for suggestions on who might be a good real estate mentor most will be able to provide one.

I always come full of questions and ready to learn. Many are specific to the individual that I am meeting with but there are some questions that I have taken from John Maxwells book "Good Leaders Ask Great Questions." You may want to use them too:

1. What is the greatest lesson you have learned? - By asking this question, I seek their wisdom.
2. What are you learning now? - This question allows me to benefit from their passion.
3. How has failure shaped your life? - This question gives insight into their attitude.
4. Who do you know whom I should know? - This allows me to engage with their network.
5. What have you read that I should read? - This question directs my personal growth.
6. What have you done that I should do? - This helps me seek new experiences.
7. How can I add value to you? - This shows my gratitude and desire to add value to them.

These can be a great starting point for you. You never know if someone will say yes or not until you ask. Be bold and ask people to meet up.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Owen Dashner
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Omaha, NE
Replied Feb 1 2023, 08:50

Start by joining your local REIA and investor meetup groups in FB - you will see quickly who the active investors are from the activity in the group.

You need to make time to network and go to these in-person meetings, period.  There is no substitute for it.  If you can't carve out a night or two every month to further your education and business, then you are not ready for a mentor.  When you attend these investor meetups, approach it like you are making new friends and go into it with a "give first" mentality.  Avoid asking people right away if they will mentor you, as it can be a turnoff. Get to know them first and let it happen organically.  It's kind of like dating - nobody is attracted to someone that seems needy.  

The other avenue would be a paid mentorship, which might be easier to coordinate if you are paying them for their time.

Good luck!

Thanks  just my 2 cents.