Votes
Chris McDonough
Pro Member
Votes |
Looking for a mentor !

Chris McDonough
Pro Member
Posted Feb 2 2023, 20:26

I'm a successful sales director at a tech company in BOS. Looking to find a mentor to help me level up my game/ minimize mistakes along the way . I have a Multi fam and STR in portfolio , just sold condo and would love to learn from someone who knows their stuff. I've gone to a few networking groups . Any recos for good mentors in the area or finding them ?

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Rabe
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Feb 3 2023, 01:03

What are you looking to get out of working with a mentor? Or I guess, what does leveling up your game look like?

User Stats

Votes
Matt Daylor
  • Realtor
  • Fall River, MA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Fall River, MA
Replied Feb 3 2023, 06:18

Hey Chris,

What part of Boston are you in?

Keller Williams South Watuppa Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris McDonough
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 3 2023, 13:06
Quote from @Brandon Rabe:

What are you looking to get out of working with a mentor? Or I guess, what does leveling up your game look like?

Hey @Brandon Rabe great question. I'm in MA, where it feels like average multi is anywhere from 400k to 1m and up. I have about 1.5m in capital with 1.2 in ETFs and ~300 liquid. Should I be targeting larger buys ? 

Out of state investing looks attractive, but I'd want to make sure returns are solid and could use a PM. 

Also after reading BRRR, it sounds like I should find a multi, buy, renovate then refi. That limits my options severely if I want to keep some $ in the market.

There's a number of questions, but those are some. I'm assuming I'm overanalyzing here too much, but someone who's done this could help tremendously IMO.

User Stats

Votes
Chris McDonough
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 3 2023, 13:07
Quote from @Matt Daylor:

Hey Chris,

What part of Boston are you in?

Hey @Matt Daylor I just bought a 2 fam up in N. Andover so I'm up here for the time being to comply with the owner occ component of my loan.

How about you?

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Rabe
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Feb 7 2023, 00:27
Quote from @Chris McDonough:
Quote from @Brandon Rabe:

Hey @Brandon Rabe great question. I'm in MA, where it feels like average multi is anywhere from 400k to 1m and up. I have about 1.5m in capital with 1.2 in ETFs and ~300 liquid. Should I be targeting larger buys ? 

Out of state investing looks attractive, but I'd want to make sure returns are solid and could use a PM. 

Also after reading BRRR, it sounds like I should find a multi, buy, renovate then refi. That limits my options severely if I want to keep some $ in the market.

There's a number of questions, but those are some. I'm assuming I'm overanalyzing here too much, but someone who's done this could help tremendously IMO.

Gotcha. So I didn't quite catch what it is you're looking for in a mentor, so instead, what is it that you're looking to get out of real estate? Generational wealth? Time freedom? Something else? From there, reverse engineer which asset class you believe will get you there. Apartments? Small multi? Single fams? Okay great. What's the next step to acquire X? More research? Go and do that till you identify what the next step should be.

If you start with the end in mind, it should make things more clearer as to what needs to be done next. Like a puzzle, it's very difficult to put it together without knowing what the end result should look like even if you have all the pieces. Getting clear on WHAT you want in the end will help you see the pieces to put together. Lmk if I can support you further. Happy to help.