• Investor
  • Chebanse, IL
Votes |
Eviction Lawyer - Chicago

Ken Frank
  • Investor
  • Chebanse, IL
Posted Mar 13 2023, 10:58

Hello, I have a property in Chicago and I need to move forward on an eviction.

I am interested in a lawyer that can process the eviction and collections. I ultimately wish to collect or place a judgement on the defendant(tenant).

Please let me know if your familiar with a lawyer that has helped you through an eviction in the city of Chicago.

Thank you for any help or referrals,

Ken Frank

User Stats

Votes
Paul De Luca
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Mar 13 2023, 12:06

@Ken Frank

I think you'll find this podcast episode helpful - https://www.straightupchicagoi...

I have not worked with her personally though.

• Real Estate Agent Illinois (#475.190985)

eXp Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Mar 14 2023, 03:58

@Ken Frank I can send you an attorney who focuses pretty much exclusively on evictions. Just to temper your expectations, it is very hard to get a judgement or collect in most cases in my experience unless you placed the tenant and have extensive records about them like social security number, driver's license, forwarding address, etc. 

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.166619)

Forte Properties, Inc Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ken Frank
  • Investor
  • Chebanse, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chebanse, IL
Replied Mar 14 2023, 07:06

@John Warren

Yes, please send the info through PM or on the forum whichever works best for you. I appreciate the response.

User Stats

Votes
Ken Frank
  • Investor
  • Chebanse, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chebanse, IL
Replied Mar 14 2023, 07:27

@Paul De Luca

I was able to take a look at her law firm. Thank you for the response.

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Mar 15 2023, 03:39

@Ken Frank sent. 

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.166619)

Forte Properties, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Mar 15 2023, 08:16

Hey @Ken Frank - Sorry to hear about the eviction, definitely some of us all go through as we grow as Chicago landlords.

I've got a couple of attorneys that only work on evictions which is probably your best bet.  Also, here is a great article about evictions that @Mark Ainley put together.

Just curious, what is the current situation with the tenant?  Have they been served yet?

User Stats

Votes
Ken Frank
  • Investor
  • Chebanse, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chebanse, IL
Replied Mar 15 2023, 13:12

@Jonathan Klemm

Hello Jonathan, thanks for your response and I would definitely appreciate those contacts if you could send them to me.

As far as my situation on this eviction. The Chicago sheriffs office “attempted” to serve the tenants but they did not have any successful attempts.

My court hearing was coming soon so I efiled an affirdaividat to personally serve the tenant and went to the apartment building and served the tenant.

The tenant and other defendant both came to court on the hearing date because they received all the court info, but the courthouse team said it was not a legitimate serving and I would need a special process server.

I was focused on taking care of this myself, I was also slightly excited to learn more about the law but with deadlines coming up I feel it’s best to hire a lawyer.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Floss II
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Northbrook, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Northbrook, IL
Replied Mar 15 2023, 13:33

@Ken Frank Sounds like you already reached out to a couple good attorneys, but my office also handles evictions.

I've had a horrible time getting sheriff service on any tenants. I used to try two attempts with sheriff service, but now I try once and immediately request special process server from the judge at the first hearing to avoid wasting time. I typically go with FireFly, their team is good about getting service executed. 

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Mar 16 2023, 08:36

@Ken Frank - Dude....thank you a much for sharing your experience.  I know it will help a bunch of us Chicago landlords.  What was the situation with the tenant leading up to the eviction?  Were they inherited?  How long did they live there?  Were they ever paying?   Just asking for context, hope that's okay. 

Sounds like you did all the right things!  Feel free to shoot me a pm and I can send over that contact information.

I can vouch for @Bob Floss II as well...you should definitely connect with him.  Also, thank you for sharing firefly I've never heard of them and always have a hard time find a good process server.